Upgraded License Question

Options
BrianStegner
BrianStegner
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I bought 1Password3 in September, 2013. This morning I upgraded 3 to 1Password4 (Family License.

At this point, the newly installed app says version 4.4, the license in the 1Password item in the database says 4.1, and the License under the 1Pasword main menu says 1Password3.

It gets better... If I hit "upgrade license" it takes me online and says there's an update (to 1P 4 which I already have the app and license for). So, I get it, if I was stupid I could just keep buying the "upgrade," indefinitely, huh?

Of course, there's an additional question, why did I have to pay for the 1P 4 "upgrade" since I was supposed to have a 9-month grace period after purchase to get a free upgrade?

This is incredibly half-assed.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

My license shows that it is for 1Passsword 3 also. When I asked about that, I was told that it reflects the fact that I originally purchased version 3 during the time when upgrades to version 4 were free. If I click on the option to upgrade in the license dialog, I also am taken to the AgileBits web store, although I've never made a second purchase when I've tried this. So I agree that it's odd and confusing, but since the license is, in fact, valid, I haven't characterized it in quite the same language you have.

If you did purchase your license to version 3 during the time when upgrades to version 4 were to be free, but you paid for the upgrade anyway, you should be able to get relief if you email support @ agilebits . com. It would be best if that message is sent from the email address you used for your purchase. They generally also appreciate having a link to the forum thread where you asked about it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BrianStegner‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. I've sent you a private message to get some further information from you about your license information - we should be able to get this cleared up for you soon! :)

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, can you (or some other administrator) confirm that licenses purchased under the upgrade program will actually show as IP3 licenses but are perfectly valid for IP4. I finally got around to upgrading my wife's computer to 1P4, installed the license, and was very surprised to see it display as "1Password3". So does the license on my computer. So that's fine, right? Although a long time 1P user, I purchased a family license in 2013 specifically to run 1P on my wife's computer as well.

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and it is confusing to click on upgrade, and be told that I am eligible to upgrade to 1P4...for a price...

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @xmarc999,

That's correct. If you purchased your license for 1Password 3, and were eligible for the free upgrade, your license will display in the license window as 1Password 3 (even though the license is valid for version 4 as well). Not a problem. :)

• erodrig3
    erodrig3
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using and upgrading my 1password for a while and this week I purchased a new mac and suddenly the 1password I was able to download was the version 4 but it is just a trial, how do i get officially the upgrade?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erodrig3‌

Thanks for giving 1Password a try! I'm so glad you've decided to use it to keep your digital life secure and organized. :)

You can purchase a 1Password license directly from our website.

If you have any questions about how to install the license file, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.