Massive log files [was resolved with 4.4.1 update]

Options
ehed
ehed
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

Is this expected?

emils-imac-8:1Password emil$ ls -alh total 231879800 drwxr-xr-x 6 emil staff 204B Oct 14 2013 . drwx------+ 32 emil staff 1.1K Feb 22 09:10 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 emil staff 316K May 1 20:52 1Password.log -rw-r--r-- 1 emil staff 1.5M May 12 07:53 1PasswordAgent.log **-rw------- 1 emil staff 111G May 12 14:45 2BUA8CS2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.log **-rw------- 1 emil staff 4.6M May 11 19:08 com.agilebits.onepassword4.log emils-imac-8:1Password emil$

Comments

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, that did not format nicely. I have a 111 GB log file. Explains why I have been running out of disk space on my home and work iMacs.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @ehed,

1Password logs should not be growing boundlessly like this. We have a bug filed in our tracker to fix that and I've added your report of it.

Here's what you can do now to trim the file's fat:

• First run 1Password, then press Control-Command-Q to quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

• Copy and paste these three lines, one at a time, into a Terminal window:

cd ~/Library/Logs/1Password

tail -5000 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.log > temp.log

mv -f temp.log 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.log

You're probably shell-savvy enough to know that'll save the last 5000 lines of the log to a temporary file, then replace the massive one with it. The intention is to retain the end of the log for information that could help troubleshoot other 1Password issues, if any arise.

Thanks for reporting this!

PS: I added backquotes around the shell (command line) input/output in your original post to help its formatting; no worries. :)

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Glad to hear it's something you guys are aware of that should (hopefully) be fixed soon. I think it may have been ill timed with my other issues I have been having with sync lately, which caused me to resync my entire keychain of 1600+ items over dropbox a couple of times. I was only able to track this down by using one of those programs that maps your disk usage by file ... the log file was nearly 20% of the entire disk!

And though you are aware of the issue, in my opinion this is the kind of thing that should be a top-priority bug. I'm sure there are other users out there whose 128 GB Macbook airs are in a bad state and are unaware that it's been caused by a bug in 1Password. I was pretty close to some drastic measures including an entire system restore and possibly buying a new hard drive. I thought my system had been compromised.

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, one more thing -- you should add this to the list of known issues in that pinned thread. I did check that thread and there was no mention of log files that I could find.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ehed,

I've added an item to Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac about a future fix for the issue of boundless growth of log files. Thanks for that suggestion and your feedback about this. We do realize its significance for those it affects and will get it resolved as soon as possible.

• MCSQ
    MCSQ
    Community Member
    Options

@ehed I've tried copying your suggested commands in my terminal window to no avail. My log file size is insane: 396 Gb. Could you provide a quick non technical solution for me perhaps. Both my Mac computers are suffering from over bloated storage utilization and making my back ups fail. Tks!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! Is this confined to the MAS version? I ask because this thread prompted me to locate the 1Password log folder in my Library. The file in question for me is only 14.8 MB, not gigabytes. What makes this file grow? (I'm on the AgileBits web store version 4.4.1-BETA-3.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MCSQ,

I agree with @hawkmoth - wow! I've included your report of this in our bug tracker and reminded the developers about it. I'm still uncertain what all is causing so much overgrowth. Heavy syncing activity can be at least one contributor.

If you are running the Mac App Store version of 1Password 4, please give this a try:

• First run 1Password, then press Control-Command-Q to quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

• Copy and paste these three lines, one at a time, into a Terminal window:

cd ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Logs/1Password

tail -5000 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.log > temp.log

mv -f temp.log 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.log

If that doesn't resolve it please send me a private message and I'll help you directly.

Thanks!

• MCSQ
    MCSQ
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth I currently use release 4.4 since I don't typically use beta version software for critical stuff like this. Not clear to me why this is even happening.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @MCSQ,

Are you running version 4.4 from the Agile Web Store (AWS) or the Mac App Store (MAS)? You can find that information in the About 1Password window:

Logs for the AWS version are in this folder:

~/Library/Logs/1Password

Logs for the MAS version are in this folder:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Logs/1Password

The '~' (tilde) character represents your home folder, e.g. /Users/MCSQ.

• MCSQ
    MCSQ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk I'm currently using version 4.4 MAS version on my laptop. At this point my desktop won't even boot up because there's not enough disk space.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

I've replied to your private message, @MCSQ. And Steve Joyner will also be helping out with this. I truly apologize for all the inconvenience this issue is causing you.

• MCSQ
    MCSQ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt responses @sjk. Looking forward to getting this resolved.

• igel
    igel
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is only 1.25GB (AWS)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @igel,

This issue was resolved with the 4.4.1 update:

• Fixed problem introduced in version 4.4 where the log files had a very large size. Log file size has been considerably reduced.

1.25GB of log files seems excessive. Are any of them left over from 1Password 3?

• igel
    igel
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted the log two weeks ago, it hasn't grown excessively since. So yes, resolved.

I think 1Password 3 used a different file name.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @igel,

Glad to hear your excessive 1Password 4 log file growth has stopped. Not sure why you had to manually delete one since they're automatically rotated since version 4.4.1. If you check the ~/Library/Logs/1Password folder you should be seeing files named like this:

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.log
    2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.rotated.1400993595
    2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.rotated.1404275787

com.agilebits.onepassword4.log
    com.agilebits.onepassword4.rotated.1400993595

Please let us know if those don't eventually appear so we can investigate further.

And leftovers from 1Password 3 would simply be:

1Password.log
    1PasswordAgent.log

Ones I still have on this system are small: 1.4 MB and 2.6 MB.

This discussion has been closed.