1Password mini CPU usage crazy [should be fixed in 4.4.1.BETA-3]

Options
davids8477
davids8477
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

My CPU usage for 1Password Mini is always around 100% causing a slow down of my computer and triggering the fan to ramp up.
I have tried to optimize the database - seen in another thread but no help.
I have attached 2 log files.

This is a great product and only recently have I had any problems

Comments

• davids8477
    davids8477
    Community Member
    Options

I think Ive found another clue to the issue.
    I sync with iCloud and if I disable that then the CPU usage drops to around 0.2%

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for reporting this, @davids8477‌! We have a couple other reports of this, and I'm going to see if they are also using iCloud sync. It is only a very small number of folks reporting it, though, so it may be early to see a common thread. Are you able to use Dropbox sync in the meantime? And does it spike back up consistently if you enable iCloud syncing in 1Password?

• dolfs
    dolfs
    Community Member
    Options

May be not so rare. It is happening to me as well. I discovered it after my Mac came to a halt due to "kernel file table full" message, forcing a reboot. Now ridiculous CPU usage. I am using iCloud. I tried disable with deleting data, but even after re-enabling it (with clean slate) the problem is there.
    DropBox is not an alternative: I would have to go reconfigure 6 devices/computers. This used to work fine.

• davids8477
    davids8477
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I can use Dropbox,
    I notice that when in preferences/sync it is continually synching with ICloud, perhaps the ability to sync very X time would fix it?

• davids8477
    davids8477
    Community Member
    Options

Also looking at the various threads, the CPU issue is not rare.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for helping us with the possible correlation of this problem with iCloud syncing. So we're better able to troubleshoot and resolve this, can you each send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com? A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful so we can keep an eye open for its arrival. Thanks in advance!

• davids8477
    davids8477
    Community Member
    Options

Report Sent

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your report, @davids8477 - thanks for sending it! We'll let you know our findings.

• innovationguru
    innovationguru
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. I turned off iCloud synch and all is good. Of course this is not ideal!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @innovationguru,

We'd also like to get a Diagnostics Report (see post #7) from your Mac, if you don't mind sending one in.

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. We'll have an update out as soon as possible to fix this problem for everyone affected.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Ditto on the problem with iCloud sync causing CPU to be >80%. Diagnostics Report sent. Here is a screenshot of the Activity Monitor. I have the MAS version. Turning off iCloud sync in System Preferences stops it. Using Safari on MBP with Mavericks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @David_C,

We've received email from with a Diagnostics Report. Thanks for sending that in and reporting this problem.

• dolfs
    dolfs
    Community Member
    Options

Report sent.

• Drdul
    Drdul
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, me too. 1Password Mini has been draining my MBP battery for the past few days. And yes, I'm using iCloud sync. I will also send a report.

• jonathansullivan
    jonathansullivan
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I started experiencing high-CPU utilization by 1Password Mini this morning, despite having no problems with it yesterday. When this problem is happening, I also get a cascade of error messages appearing in Console.

I have e-mailed support with the diagnostic report, sample console errors and the URL of this thread as instructed by @David_C above.

If I disable iCloud Sync, then the CPU utilization returns to normal. If I re-enable it, then the problem reoccurs immediately.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the additional reports, guys.

A fix for this bug is forthcoming and we'll follow up here with additional information as it's known.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi everyone,

We just released a beta version (4.4.1.BETA-3) that should fix the iCloud syncing issue that was causing 1Password to use a lot of CPU.

If you're using the AgileBits website version of 1Password, you can enable betas to get this fix right now. In the menu bar, go to 1Password 4 > Preferences... > Updates and check Include beta builds. And once you download 4.4.1.BETA-3, please let us know if it fixes the issue for you! :)

• Rooty
    Rooty
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add that my Mac had started crashing with massive CPU and memory issues, which were 1Password-related (according to logs and Activity Monitor). I also noticed what appeared to near constant iCloud syncing / fails with the App Store version.

I bought version 3 from your store, but moved to the App Store with version 4. I've now downloaded the 4.4.1 beta -- THANK YOU -- and things are running smoothly again.

My question is this: I note that YOUR store beta has recognised my license from the App Store. Can I Trash the App Store version and continue to get updates from you direct?

• Scansterz
    Scansterz
    Community Member
    Options

HI, I just updated to 4.4.1.BETA-3 (build #441003) and the CPU usage for both mini and regular app increased. I've been searching for a solution on this forum - it seems there is no solution? I am seeing 134% usage - previous version was 115% <-- these for 1password mini. Just fyi. I also see many many syncing problems.

• Rooty
    Rooty
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum: looking in the "/Users//Library/containers" folder, I found a file "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" with a file size of 29.42GB..... Eek!

• davids8477
    davids8477
    Community Member
    Options

Beta version seems to have solved my excessive CPU issue.
    Thanks

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Rooty and @davids8477,

I'm glad to hear that 4.4.1.BETA-3 fixed the issue for you! :)

I note that YOUR store beta has recognised my license from the App Store. Can I Trash the App Store version and continue to get updates from you direct?

Yes, you can trash the App Store version if you want to. You will continue to receive updates to the AgileBits version.

Addendum: looking in the "/Users//Library/containers" folder, I found a file "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" with a file size of 29.42GB.....

So we can investigate, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Hi @Scansterz,

I'm sorry to hear about the continued trouble! We'd like to look into this — could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rooty,

The Mac App Store version of 1Password can be removed using Launchpad:

How to remove Mac App Store apps that appear in Launchpad

Using uninstaller/cleaner applications to remove 1Password is not recommended because they may remove data you need and backups that are desirable to keep.

• Rooty
    Rooty
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, guys, I deleted the 30GB "onepassword-osx-helper" file, then totally dumped 1Password. Downloaded it again from the MAS and then downloaded your beta version.

Unfortunately I wiped caches and logs while trying to track down where all that hard drive space had gone.

So not worth sending you diagnostics, but if any undue space is consumed in future, I will do.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

I found what was causing it for me. My iPhone 1P was re-syncing every few seconds. I noticed the item counts were off even though both the Mac and the iPhone were set to sync with iCloud. I had a password item on the iPhone that was not on the Mac. The iPhone also had one more login item than the Mac. I edited the iPhone login item a little and saved it. It then showed up on the Mac. I deleted the password item and now the counts matched. The iPhone was no longer syncing every few seconds and the Mac 1P and Mini was not using hardly any CPU. Is this what your beta fixes, mismatched data?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @Rooty,

Now that you've clobbered the mega-log (we have a bug in our tracker about that issue), and if 4.4.1.BETA-3 is working smoothly, there's no reason to send the Diagnostics Report. :)

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @David_C,

The issue you were experiencing should be fixed in version 4.4.1.BETA-3 on Mac, and version 4.5.2 on iOS (not yet released).

If you were able to get it sorted out on your own, that's great. But if you're still having trouble with high CPU usage, switching to the beta version should fix it (let us know if you need help switching).

• dolfs
    dolfs
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

While I have now installed the beta, I seemed to have resolved the issue earlier as follows:

1: Disable sync on my desktop, laptop, iPhone and iPad
    2: Removed the Mobile Data folder for 1Password from desktop and laptop
    3: Login to iCloud.com and "reset" iCloud documents
    4: Re-enable sync on my desktop, wait to complete sync
    5: Ditto on laptop
    6: Re-enable on devices

It still occasionally happens, but very briefly.

I have now installed the beta and will report if anything changes.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dolfs,

Thanks for the followup with specific steps you took to reconfigure iCloud sync after installing the 1Password 4 beta on your Mac. I'm glad the issue appears resolved since then, although am not sure which "it" this refers to:

It still occasionally happens, but very briefly.

Please let us know if we can help you with that.

This discussion has been closed.