1Password Sync Problem detected (iCloud)

Options
fortund
fortund
Community Member

Since downloading Watchtower my 1Password 4 for the Mac gives me the pop-up error, "1Password Sync, Problem detected" with options to Ignore or Fix... When I click Fix it takes me to Preferences and the Sync tab where I have to reselect iCloud. When I do that, I get the same error, 1Password Sync Problem detected" with the same options, and now my 1Password file is not syncing with my phone. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @fortund,

Let's try resetting iCloud sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

• On your Mac(s), open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click 1Password in the menu bar, then Preferences. Go the the Sync tab, and then click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.
    • Restart all your devices.

• On your Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud sync.

• Wait a few minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.
    • Go back to any other Macs and iOS devices app and re-enable iCloud sync.

Please let me know if that helps! :)

• fer
    fer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm having the same problem but the "Change syncing" option doesn't appear on the preferences panel as you can see in the screenshot attached. When I click on the iCloud icon I get a message saying 1Password is going to create a copy of the vault in iCloud (see attached file) but that's it

Any suggestions in how to proceed?

Regards,

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @fer,

That means that iCloud sync is not currently enabled, and no data is stored in iCloud. If you click iCloud, then Start Syncing, it should work for you.

Please let us know if you have any other trouble.

• fer
    fer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've already done that several times. However my other devices are working just fine synchronizing through iCloud (the iphone and the iPad) On the other hand, each time I click on the iCloud I get the same error message (attached) when I click on the fix option I get back to the same preferences pane and I'm stuck in a loop here

• sfguy415
    sfguy415
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem fer, I keep looping around and around (Mac won't sync, but iPhone seems fine) - were you able to find a resolution?

• fer
    fer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sfguy415,

Not yet, but I changed to sync through dropbox and works just fine (anyway, if I return to sync through iCloud I get the same behavior) I'm pondering the idea to delete the iCloud file and see if that solves the problem, but I'm waiting to see if the people in Agile post something else regarding this issue.

Meanwhile, I keep the dropbox sync because I have add some new records and I've been unable to sync those to the iDevices..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sfguy415‌

Have you tried @JasperP's steps above to reset sync? Please let me know if this gets things up and running.

Hi @fer,

I'm glad to hear that Dropbox is working for you. If you would like to get iCloud up and running, you can remove the 1Password data in iCloud. (Essentially, that's what the 'remove data from iCloud' checkbox in Jasper's steps above would have done.) In 1Password 4, your data is always stored locally as well as in the sync location, so removing your 1Password data from iCloud is not deleting your entire database.

Please let me know if you want some more detailed troubleshooting steps here, or if you're happy to remain with the sync that seems to be behaving for you! :)

• fortund
    fortund
    Community Member
    Options

JasperP...your suggestion seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks!

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

• spritzdog
    spritzdog
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem and can't complete Jasper's suggestion because the change sync is not an option. If I click on I cloud and start to sync then I get the error with an update system preferences. It is a loop.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @spritzdog,

Could you please give this a try:

• On your iOS devices (if you have any), open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, then Disable Sync.

• Assuming all of your data is present in 1Password for Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Manage... and find 1Password in the list (it would likely be listed as onepassword), click on it, then click Delete All.

• Restart all your devices.

• On your Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud sync.

• Wait a few minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.
    • Go back to any other Macs and iOS devices and re-enable iCloud sync.

Please let me know if that helps! :)

• spritzdog
    spritzdog
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to have worked. I will test it for a few days. If I have any additional problems, I will certainly let you know. Thanks for your help.
    Marc

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! Happy to help. :)

• dpiol
    dpiol
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem for me.... but the steps suggested by JasperP didn't help. I still get the error message "1Password Sync, Problem detected" when I try to sync with iCloud from Mac.... repair doesn't help either.

• dpiol
    dpiol
    Community Member
    Options

Even removal and re-install of 1password on my MacBook Air didn't help.

Works on my iMac, doesn't on the Macbook Air. iOS Devices seems unaffected as well..... very anoying.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @dpiol,

So we can investigate, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• nurv
    nurv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have an iMac with latest OSX Maverick version and an iPad2 and also have a problem with 1P sync.

I used to sync via Dropbox but have discontinued a while ago and removed the 1P from Dropbox. Now I would like to sync via iCloud. After having read the numerous issues people have, I have tried all the options both JasperP and Megan posted above with resetting sync on both devices. In a second attempt the entire 1P content on the iPad was deleted, the sync disabled on both devices as suggested following the steps as described by JasperP in the post dated 12 June.

When trying to sync all appears fine. There are no error messages. It shows the time when the last sync was cone. However the data on the iPad contains again the previous Dropbox data.
    Can you please help with the issue as I urgently need the updated data on the iPad. Thanks in advance.

• dpiol
    dpiol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    That's what I did.... after realizing that the problem persists only on my MacBook Air and not on the iMac, it was clear that it can't be related to iCoud or 1Passwrd per se.... but some broken installation on the MacBook Air.

Uninstalled 1Password again... started a repair of permissions (the Mac OS X Voodoo thing...).... reboot... installed 1Password again.... And hey, it works again!

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @nurv,

Please send a diagnostic report like mentioned above, so we can better assist you.

Hi @dpiol,

I'm glad to hear that it's working now! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• nurv
    nurv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JasperP

Thanks for your message. Report has just been sent.

Hi dpiol

Thanks for your tip. Unfortunately it didn't work - yet.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @nurv,

I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly.

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details. :)

• ckf002
    ckf002
    Community Member
    Options

I too just started having this problem today. I'm running OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 and recently updated 1password on June 9th, via Mac App Store. Since this error started, I have tried:

• Repairing Disk Permissions
    • Disabling Sync on my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro
    • Removing the 1Password data file from iCloud, via System Preferences-->iCloud-->Manage-->DeleteAll
    • Deleting 1Password App, Re-download from App Store, Reinstall ver 4.4.1

After each of these efforts, reinitiating Sync to iCloud produces the same error. I have been forced to disable th iCloud syncing all together and begin using Dropbox (NOT my preferred method).

Looks like somebody at Agile broke something in the latest update. This problem did not occur before the update, and I have had no OS or system updates applied to my MacBook Pro for the past 30 days. Only App updates I've installed in last 30 days were iTunes 11.2.2 and 1Password 4.4.1.

What's next Agile?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ckf002,

I'm sorry to hear that iCloud sync was giving you problems, even after the steps you tried for resetting it. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your MacBook Pro, per @JasperP's instructions in post #17, so we can better help you get this resolved? Thanks!

• nicolinden
    nicolinden
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have the same issue... I fixed it by the steps mentioned earlier (resetting iCloud) so I was happy again but not even two weeks later the same problem is back and it frustrates me completely. I hope Agilebits solves this soon since I have no issues with paying a lot of money (1password is not cheap) but then I expect that "it just works"....

I do sync my password library between an iphone, ipad, macbook pro and air and a mac mini. But that should not be an issues (other programs sync fine with iCloud between these devices.

• ckf002
    ckf002
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report sent yesterday at 3:20pm CST ...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sending the report, @ckf002. Our support team will have a look at it and be responding to you as soon as they can.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nicolinden,

I'm sorry that your problems with iCloud sync have returned after resetting it a couple weeks ago. We'd like to see a Diagnostics Report for you, too, starting from any Mac where you're having trouble with syncing. Thanks!

• nicolinden
    nicolinden
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi sjk, this time I could solve it much easier. The issue only occurred on my macbook air, my other mac's and iOS devices kept working fine. So what I did this time was disable "documents & data" under iCloud preferences for the mac where the issue occurred. Then it asked me to delete everything from my mac and I choose "yes". After that I turned the option back on and started 1Password again on this mac.

I checked the 1password preferences and that still showed that it was syncing with iCloud but that it never synced before, so I waited some time and then it began to sync again and now everything seems fine.

However, I did already happen multiple times and with these types of actions I get a bit afraid that there will be a day where I lose passwords. I know iCloud sync (the Apple API) wasn't very stable when apple released the option (at least I heard multiple application developers complain about this). I normally don't have any issues with iCloud sync though except now and then with 1 password. Do you know if this is still a 'crappy' apple solution or that there is a bug in 1password that causes this? I only have the issue with my primary fault, my other faults sync through dropbox and never have the issue... that said... if I think back, I can almost say for sure that the sync problems started from the moment that I added additional faults... I don't think I had this iCloud sync issue before starting with this (GREAT!!) feature to add additional faults.

Although I am disappointed to have these issues I'd like to say that I love your application and can't live without it anymore. Therefore I'd like to send a diagnostics report when it happens again, but how do I create it and where should I send it to?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See this article on how to send a diagnostic report (if you need to). Don't post the report here in the forums but it's helpful to mention in this thread if you have sent one.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @nicolinden‌

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out.

I checked the 1password preferences and that still showed that it was syncing with iCloud but that it never synced before, so I waited some time and then it began to sync again and now everything seems fine.

Unfortunately, iCloud sync is largely a black box to us. With Dropbox sync we are able to directly initiate a sync as soon as you make a change to your 1Password database. Apple has not enabled such a feature for iCloud, so when you make a change to your iCloud-synced database, 1Password will update the data in the sync location, and then iCloud will update that data on its own schedule. This means that sometimes a bit of patience is required for data to propagate to all devices. :)

Do you know if this is still a 'crappy' apple solution or that there is a bug in 1password that causes this?

We are not aware of any current bugs in 1Password that should be causing problems here. If you do run into problems with sync again, please send us a Diagnostic Report as suggested by @sjk (just follow @Stephen_C's link for instructions.) Our support team will get you all sorted out!

This discussion has been closed.