Auto Fill Broken at NatureMade.com Login

Options
JDW
JDW
Community Member

When I use 1Password 4 to enter my Login at NatureMade.com, I get an error about a bad password. My email address is entered perfectly, but what password is being entered is unknown because the site puts bullet marks over the password. But if I manually type the password, then it allows me in. So you may need to do something special to get around whatever code they are using to make me manually type the password.

Here is the login page:

http://www.naturemade.com/login

If you need additional details, please let me know. (But I suggest you just create a login and give it a try yourself.)

Thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any chance that your password in your saved data is longer than what is allowed by the NatureMaid web site? I ask because I've experienced exactly the kind of behavior you describe with a site I use often, and it turned out that the web site restricted passwords to fewer characters than I had generated with 1Password. 1Password doesn't fill forms by conventional copy and paste, so the whole length gets submitted and is therefore found to be incorrect. But if I copy the password from 1Password and paste it into the proper field, my credentials are accepted. I counted the dots in the password field and truncated my saved password to that length, and then I was able to log in directly.

You say your password is accepted if you manually type it in. If any of my experience applies in this case, I would predict that the extra characters you type are not being registered.

The web site in question for me doesn't even say that it has a maximum permissible password length, which makes this especially annoying and hard to figure out!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

No, it's not a matter of my saved password being truncated because I only had a 7 digit password, letters and numbers only. I then created a new password last night that was a little longer, but I still have the same issue.

But reproducing the problem is very easy for anyone to do. Just create a free account and try it yourself with 1Password! When you find that 1Password doesn't fill in your password correctly, then try typing it in yourself and you will see it works.

Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Please save a new Login manually for the Nature Made site on the http://www.naturemade.com/login page, then try filling with it. If that doesn't fix the problem, please let me know which web browser and version of the 1Password extension for it that you're using. Thanks!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

Interestingly enough, I have zero issues when using Safari 7.0.3 (OS 10.9.3) and 1Password 4.4 on my iMac at home to login to NatureMade.com, and I have zero issues when I tried using 1PSW4.4 with Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 on my iMac at the office (also OS 10.9.3). But Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 beta on my iMac at home doesn't seem to be filling in the Password correctly when I use 1PSW4.4. I've never had issues with previous Chrome betas before though, so perhaps it's something unique to this one.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Thanks so much for letting us know which browser you're working on! While we do try to work with the beta versions of apps, we do generally recommend using the stable version for best results.

I'm glad to hear that Safari and the release version of Chrome are behaving properly. Did saving a new Login as @sjk suggested above help?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Using Chrome 35.0.1916.114 (non-beta), filling works fine for me on the naturemade.com/login page with either the 4.1.1.90 (stable) or 4.2.0.21 (beta) 1Password extension. However, there appears to be an issue with autosubmit. If you temporarily disable autosubmit, then manually click the Log In button after filling, are you successfully logged in?

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

You are correct about Auto Submit being the root problem at NatureMade.com with the latest Beta of Chrome. When I disable Auto Submit and merely use 1PSW4 to fill in the email and password, I can then login just fine.

I'd also like to add that 1PSW4 puts my email address into the Search field too on that site for some reason, although that would not be related to the Auto Submit issue, I think.

Thank you for your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @JDW. :)

Chrome 35.0.1916.114, which 1Password isn't fully cooperative with on the Nature Made site, is no longer beta.

One option for now is to set the submit option of your item to Never submit, e.g.:

And using that Login item, I'm not seeing email address filling of the Search field with any browser and 1Password extension usage. Is that only with Chrome for you?

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

And using that Login item, I'm not seeing email address filling of the Search field with any browser and 1Password extension usage. Is that only with Chrome for you?

No, it happens not only in Chrome but also in Safari too.

Here's a short video I made of what I see happening in Chrome (which parallels what happens in Safari), in terms of an email address being placed inside the search field (as well as in its proper place in the Login field):

http://cl.ly/2b0Y2j0O2Q13/download/1PSW4_Chrome_NatureMade_SearchFieldFILL.mov

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Thanks for the video clip. Can you reproduce that with a new manually saved Login item for the http://www.naturemade.com/login page, as suggested in post #4? Do the web form details for the current item look similar to this?

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @sjk‌

Same exact scenario when I create a new login manually. It fills in the search field and I cannot use Auto Submit.

How I created a new login manually:

1) Launched 1Password 4, ver. 4.4.
    2) Created a new login
    3) Copied and then Pasted my email address into the username field.
    4) Copied and then Pasted my password into the password field.
    5) Saved the login.
    6) Switched back to Chrome and tested it on the NatureMade Login page.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

I've now reproduced that search field filling issue with a new Login item created using your method. It'll be fixed in the upcoming version 4.2 of the extension.

A workaround for version 4.1 of the extension is to first create a new Nature Made Login item on the naturemade.com/login page with these instructions:

Saving a new Login manually

Then edit that item and delete the searchField web form field:

Please give that a try and let me know how it goes. :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

A field named "searchField" does not exist, neither in my original 1PSW login, nor in the new login I manually made.

In my original Login, I see only these 2 within "Web form details":

a_username

a_password

And in my new Login, I see on these 2 within "Web form details":

username

password

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Have you created a new Login item with these instructions that doesn't have a searchField web form field?

Saving a new Login manually

If you'd like to give the 4.2 beta extension a try, open the 1Password Extension page in your browser, then select Enable betas before clicking the big green Install button. With Chrome, make sure it's the only extension enabled on the chrome://extensions page. Then restart the browser. Reverting to the stable 4.1 release is relatively easy by reinstalling/reenabling it and removing/disabling the beta (depending on the browser). :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Fascinating. When I saved a new Login manually via the method described at the URL you linked for me, it works as expected (sans Auto Submit), and nothing is entered into the Search field. But when I manually created a new Login via opening the full 1Password 4.4 app, it still fills in the Search Field. So basically this tells me that if I want to create a new Login, I should do it via the gear icon in the browser, rather than do it in the full 1Password app. Got it.

I've noted your comment about the 4.2 beta extension. I will either try that or wait for the full release. But I am good to go for now.

Many thanks for all your kind help and excellent support!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @JDW. Thanks for your help and patience getting through all of this. :)

When I saved a new Login manually via the method described at the URL you linked for me, it works as expected (sans Auto Submit), and nothing is entered into the Search field.

It should also work with autosubmit. And this script can help with that if you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store:

Autosubmit Script

But when I manually created a new Login via opening the full 1Password 4.4 app, it still fills in the Search Field.

It happens with the 4.1 extension, even without a searchField web form field for that item.

So basically this tells me that if I want to create a new Login, I should do it via the gear icon in the browser, rather than do it in the full 1Password app.

Either method will usually work fine. Doing it through 1Password mini may save additional web form fields, and use more specific labels, that can be useful when filling. But sometimes those fields interfere with filling.

Manually creating Login items through 1Password mini is more convenient for me than doing it with the main app. Editing items directly with mini is handy, too.

But I am good to go for now.

If anything else comes up we're here to help. :)

Enjoy your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.