iphone lost; how to recover 1Password content

Options
garynunes
garynunes
Community Member

My wife just lost her purse (possibly stolen). Its contents included her iPhone 3GS which has the 1Password app on it. She keeps lots of passwords in the app. She does not run the companion 1Password application on her Mac but she has recently backed up the iPhone 1Password contents onto her Mac using the instructions on your web site.

She would like to recover her passwords using the backup file on her Mac. How can she do this (she currently has no iPhone but she does have the Mac with the backup file)?

Thanks for any help supplied.

Regards,
Gary Nunes

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @garynunes,

What version of 1Password was your wife using? Take a look at this image if you need help: http://i.agilebits.com/cdj/iOS_Versions.png

What type of backup file is stored on the Mac? Please let me know the name and file extension.

Thanks in advance for additional info! :)

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    Options

Since I don't have her iPhone I can't be positive but I think it's the same version that's on my iPhone (also a 3GS), namely 3.7.1.

The backup file on her MacBook Air is
    1Password0100-20140412.1ptbackup

Hope that helps,
    Gary Nunes

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @garynunes,

Unfortunately, 1Password 3 for iOS backup files (.1ptbackup) can only be read by 1Password 3 for iOS. The data cannot be restored using a Mac — an iOS device is required.

Will she be getting a new iPhone soon? Or does she have an iPad?

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the information.

We're in the process of deciding about a new phone.

No iPads but my son and I both have iPhones so perhaps I can restore it onto one of those?

My iPhone syncs with the Mac 1Password on my machine so maybe my son's iPhone is the better choice (since it's currently "pristine", i.e., no 1Password on his Mac or iPhone).

I'll try it out with the backup/restore instructions from your web site (please tell me if there's anything else I need to know).

Thanks for the help.

Gary Nunes

P.S.
    I'm looking in the iTunes App Store for a 1Password version 3 but, so far, only find version 4. Is there a way to get the (already paid for) version 3 on my son's iPhone in order to try out the above procedure?

I'll keep trying while I await a reply.

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    Options

P.P.S.
    Got version 3 onto my son's iPhone. Will attempt the restore shortly.

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Restoration of the contents of the backup onto my son's iPhone was successful.

If/when we get a new iPhone I presume I can do the same procedure to get the data onto the new iPhone.

However, supposing I wanted to install a version 4 1Password onto the new iPhone. Is there a procedure for migrating the data from version 3 to version 4 (recall that she has no Mac version of 1Password ... would that be required?)?

More generally, what if she decides to get a non-iPhone phone (but one supported by AgileBits). Is there a way to get 1Password data from an iPhone to a non-iPhone?

Thanks for the help.

Gary Nunes

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Gary,

I'm glad to hear you were able to restore her data to your son's iPhone.

If/when we get a new iPhone I presume I can do the same procedure to get the data onto the new iPhone.

Yep. :)

However, supposing I wanted to install a version 4 1Password onto the new iPhone. Is there a procedure for migrating the data from version 3 to version 4?

Yes:

More generally, what if she decides to get a non-iPhone phone (but one supported by AgileBits). Is there a way to get 1Password data from an iPhone to a non-iPhone?

Not directly. The only app that can read a .1ptbackup file is 1Password 3 for iOS.

To get the data into a widely readable format, you first would need to import the data into 1Password 4 for iOS (following the steps above). The data format used in 1Password 4 for iOS can be opened on any devices we support (Mac, Windows, and Android).

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Gary Nunes

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    Options

Again, thanks for the help.

My wife does have another question.

She has (had) few applications on her iPhone. One of them was (obviously) 1Password and it was probably the one she used the most. Having lost her iPhone and having gone through the process of recovering her 1Password contents onto another iPhone (our son's) she is interested in how that process would work with a future phone. Specifically:

When we get another phone (not necessarily an iPhone) and she runs 1Password on it (let's assume the latest version) and presuming she backs up the 1Password contents regularly then I expect she could recover her contents on to another phone (as was done above). But, in the interim (while without a phone), will she be able to look at the contents elsewhere? In a previous response you seemed to indicate that 1Password version 4 would allow that. We won't necessarily immediately have another phone around to recover the contents onto (as we luckily did this time) but may still need to access the 1Password backup contents immediately to avoid problems. How would this be done, if it can be done?

Regards,

Gary Nunes

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Gary ( @garynunes‌ )

If you sync the iPhone's database to Dropbox, you can access your 1Password data pretty much anywhere. 1PasswordAnywhere allows you to access your database simply by logging into Dropbox on a web browser. It's pretty handy for situations just like this where you might not have direct access to 1Password on a computer or device. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• garynunes
    garynunes
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the continued help. I have a couple of questions regarding Dropbox syncing.

First, I already have a Dropbox account and I've been using it to sync between the 1Password applications on my Mac and my iPhone. Is it possible to use that same Dropbox account to sync my wife's new phone (whether iPhone or not) or must she have a separate Dropbox account? To be clear, her 1Password content is different from my 1Password content so I'm not talking about sharing the same content but, rather, using one Dropbox account to support two distinct 1Password contents (also note that her Mac doesn't have the 1Password application; she used 1Password only on her phone).

Second, my iPhone is a 3GS and, while going through all this stuff to recover my wife's content, I realized that it was no longer syncing via Dropbox. Apparently my version of iOS 1Password (version 3.7.2) can't do that anymore. I've switched to Wi-Fi syncing but I'd like to go back to Dropbox syncing. As I understand it I have to get a newer version of iOS 1Password (version 4). The version 4 1Password in the iOS App Store only works with iOS 7 and iPhone 3GS phones can't run iOS 7 (iOS 6 is the highest iOS that they can run). Is it true that I can purchase the iOS 7 1Password version 4 and the App Store will be "smart" enough to download a version 4 that will run on my 3GS?

Regards,

Gary

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Is it possible to use that same Dropbox account to sync my wife's new phone (whether iPhone or not) or must she have a separate Dropbox account?

You can use the same Dropbox account, but it would probably be simplest if you each used a separate one.

Apparently my version of iOS 1Password (version 3.7.2) can't do that anymore. I've switched to Wi-Fi. I've switched to Wi-Fi syncing but I'd like to go back to Dropbox syncing. As I understand it I have to get a newer version of iOS 1Password (version 4).

Correct — due to discontinued API, Dropbox sync no longer works in 1Password 3 for iOS. But, it works perfectly in version 4. :)

Is it true that I can purchase the iOS 7 1Password version 4 and the App Store will be "smart" enough to download a version 4 that will run on my 3GS?

Yes, you can install the latest compatible version (4.3.2) on a device running iOS 6.

This discussion has been closed.