Password reverted to a previous password after mac update

Options
Lars Townsend
Lars Townsend
Community Member

For some reason, after I updated my Mac system today, my 1Password login reverted to a previous password. Everything still works, but I need to login with the password I used 3 months ago.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lars,

That's a strange problem, indeed! In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• Lars Townsend
    Lars Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

I am running Version 4.4 (440001) I bought it from the Mac App Store about 2.5 years ago then bought the Windows version from this site. I run it on an iMac (2.5 GHz Intel Core i5), an iphone 4, an iPad Air and one of my Windows computers. I used DropBox to sync my devices.

I have three vaults. Previously the vault with most of my passwords had a different password than my other two vaults. I change the main vault regularly, while I change the other two vaults only occasionally. Two or three months ago I updated the main password, and reused my previous main password on the other two vaults -- so essentially I had 1 new 2 old.

A week ago there was a major Mac Security update. Until that that point things were working fine. I logged in with my New password, and once logged in I had access to all my vaults. (though to be fair, I would rather log into all my vaults independently of one another). After the security update, I could not log into my 1Password account. Out of frustration I logged in with my old password, it worked. So I now have all three vaults with the same (old) password.

I was worried that my main passwords had reverted to an older back up copy. So I navigated to a few sites which I had changed recently (due to the heartbleed security flaw) and found that those logins still worked.

• Lars Townsend
    Lars Townsend
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I also own a copy of Knox, though I don't think this is relevant.

I also use Lastpass for my least important passwords (facebook, hotmail, freelance work) on my iMac, my other Windows computer and my Ubuntu system. I just recently started this (about a month) and while I doubt that there are any incompatibility issues, I thought I should mention it just in case.

• Lars Townsend
    Lars Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

It occurs to me that what might have happened is that during the last mac system upgrade, the login password pointer in 1Password moved from my Main Vault to one of my secondary Vaults. As a result the password itself might not have changed, I might be just logging in using the login from a different Vault

• Lars Townsend
    Lars Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

I just logged into my PC and that version of 1Password still uses the new and updated password. So I suspect that this is a vault issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lars,

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Lars Townsend
    Lars Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

It has been sent

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. :)

EDIT:

I've tracked down your report! Someone from our team should get back to you soon with more details.

This discussion has been closed.