Questions before purchasing I Password

Options
k_en_chase71
k_en_chase71
Community Member

Can the program generate passwords to replace all the passwords I now use on various sites?
Will this sync to my Android phone or do I need to purchase a separate subscription for the phone?
Thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @k_en_chase71‌

Thanks for considering 1Password to keep your digital life secure and organized! If you haven't already heard, we have a free 30-day trial of 1Password available on our downloads page - you're welcome to kick the tires and test things out for yourself before purchasing. In any case, I'd be happy to answer your questions here.

Can the program generate passwords to replace all the passwords I now use on various sites?

Yes! 1Password has a secure password generator that will allow you to customize the strength and complicated-ness (that's the 'technical' term) of your generated passwords.

Will this sync to my Android phone or do I need to purchase a separate subscription for the phone?

Currently 1Password has a Reader app available for free on the Google Play Store, although our developers are working on a shiny new fully functioning Android app. Since its still in beta testing, we don't quite have all the pricing details sorted out yet, but if you're curious, you're welcome to sign up to help us polish the last few details: Android beta newsletter.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• k_en_chase71
    k_en_chase71
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. One final question. If I use Ipassword to generate a password for a site I already have one do I go to the site,request password change
    then have 1password generate the new password? If so, I will have to do this at every site I now access with a password?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, if you want to change a password, you do exactly what you suggest. And yes, you will need to do so for any site for which you want to change your password. I can't think of any alternative to doing that. Every site has a somewhat different approach to changing passwords, so there isn't any sensible way to automate the process.

And, yes, that is tedious when you need to change lots of passwords, as many of us did when the Heartbleed issue was discovered.

• k_en_chase71
    k_en_chase71
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I went to my Android Google Play Store and there were a lot of newsreaders listed. I don't know which was yours as none were identified as Android beta newsletter.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @k_en_chase71,

You can download our Android app here:

1Password Reader for Android

If you'd like to join the beta team, you can signup here:

Android beta newsletter

Or, if you wait until June 10, the brand new app will be available on the Google Play store as well:

1Password 4 for Android is coming

• k_en_chase71
    k_en_chase71
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I spent some time over the weekend playing with 1Password. I realized that if I have !password generate passwords on my iMac
    when I'm traveling and only have my phone,iPad and my wives laptop PC. I won't be able to get onto any of my websites with the iPad and P.C.
    Am I out of luck? No point taking the trouble of generating passwords I won't know and can't use. Look forward to your reply. Thanks

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you also purchase 1Password for iOS from the App Store, you would be able to sync your passwords between your Mac and iPad. There is yet another separate version for Windows, which you also could sync via Dropbox to your Mac. AgileBits sells a Mac/Windows bundle on their own web site, which would help with the cost of having both.

This discussion has been closed.