Share 1Password Data across 4 Users?

Options
Kirkvan
Kirkvan
Community Member

I'm looking at setting up 1Password for a couple and their 2 assistants. They all use Dropbox (different accounts) so I could create a shared folder to store the 1Password.agilekeychain file in a place where they can all access it. I have several questions about this:
1. Does 1Password do any item/record locking so that two users _can't _edit the same item and possibly create a sync conflict?
2. The users aren't likely to want to manage/switch between multiple vaults and there isn't any need for private data between them. Is the above Dropbox setup the best way to create a 1Password environment where they can all share logins, secure notes, etc?
3. What else should I be considering in terms of making this as easy as possible to create a secure environment for the 4 users?

Many thanks!

Kirk out

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear Kirk ( @Kirkvan ),

First of all, you have completely made my day with your sign-off. You rock.

Now, I'll stop geeking out and actually read the rest of your post ...

It sounds like you've got the right idea for sharing a folder between the individual Dropbox accounts with the keychain inside. We've got instructions on how to share a non-primary vault that can walk you through the process if you would like.

1. Unfortunately at this time, 1Password does not have item locking to prevent multiple users from editing the same item at the same time. However, if 1Password cannot resolve which is newer between two edits, it will create a 'Conflict' section to ensure that no data is lost. (That does sound like something to be considered for multiple vaults in the future, and I'll be happy to mention this to our developers as an improvement request!)
    2. To install this shared vault as the users' only vault in 1Password, ensure that they keychain is fully synced to Dropbox. Then when you open 1Password for the first time, select "I've used 1Password before" and select the appropriate keychain in Dropbox.
    3. I don't think there's anything else that needs to be considered here. We've done our best to keep the process as simple (and secure!) as possible.

If you do have any further questions about this, or anything else 1Password related, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.