Error 403 on Safari for Mac

Options
The18thLetter
The18thLetter
Community Member

I'm trying to log into the Dropbox website using 1Password 4.4 on Safari for Mac. When I do, I get Error 403, stating that I may have tried to do something Dropbox cannot verify. Also, I have 2-factor authentication enabled, so every time I attempt to log in and I get this error, my iPhone receives a text message with the 6-digit code for me to enter into the Dropbox website. But I can't proceed because I get the error.

However, when I try to log into Dropbox manually (copy+paste my username and password from 1Password into Safari), I'm able to log in just fine.

Also, when I attempt to log in on Chrome for Mac using 1Password, it logs in just fine. I have the Dropbox and 1Password apps on my iPhone and iPad and they work fine as well.

Any ideas as to why this is? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @The18thLetter‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Dropbox Login right now. Please try saving a new Login like this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you're still having difficulties after saving a fresh Login and we'll investigate further. :)

• Antonio Jobs Zanasi
    Antonio Jobs Zanasi
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Megan I have the same problem even I can not access.
    I followed his instructions but I do not think it's resolved a security problem related to dropbox that denies access

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Antonio,

Do you have two-step verification with Dropbox, and using text messages or a mobile app? Can you describe how you're using 1Password to log into Dropbox, when the error happens, and exactly what that error is (e.g. post a screenshot of it)?

In my testing with two-step verification enabled using text messages, 1Password will successfully open and fill the Dropbox - Sign in page (and auto-submit, if enabled), then open the page where I manually enter the 6-digit code that was sent as a text message:

And after pressing Submit there I'm successfully logged in on the Home - Dropbox page.

I'm not sure where you and @The18thLetter are getting an error if using a similar Dropbox login workflow.

• bazcurtis
    bazcurtis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have just had the 403 issue. I used 1Password 4 to auto fill and then I would get my two factor authentication screen. It wouldn't allow me to enter the code and take me to the 403 screen. I tried 1Password 4 with my wife's account and that worked fine.

I then copied my password from the extension and entered it manually and it worked fine. I can now login. I have also seen this with PayPal. It won't let me login if I use the extension, but if I copy and paste it will work.

Best wishes

Michael

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael ( @bazcurtis ),

Sorry you're having this problem using 1Password to log in on your Dropbox account with two-step verification enabled. I just retested here and it still works as described in my previous reply.

I used 1Password 4 to auto fill and then I would get my two factor authentication screen.

Did you first open the Dropbox - Sign in page, fill Email and Password fields there, then see the form for entering the 6-digit code?

It wouldn't allow me to enter the code and take me to the 403 screen.

Did it skip past the form without letting you enter the 6-digit code there?

I tried 1Password 4 with my wife's account and that worked fine.

Does your wife's Dropbox account also have two-step verification enabled? Were you checking it using 1Password in your OS X account or hers, and on the same or different system?

I then copied my password from the extension and entered it manually and it worked fine. I can now login.

I'm glad you can get in that way. Have you tried creating and using a new Login item for your Dropbox account, like @Megan suggested in her reply (post #2)?

I have also seen this with PayPal. It won't let me login if I use the extension, but if I copy and paste it will work.

That's interesting. Creating a new Login item might also help there.

Which web browser, and versions of the 1Password application and browser extension, are you using?

Thanks in advance for the additional information!

This discussion has been closed.