My experience: Dropbox/Agile Store version vs iCloud/MAS version

Options
mikebore
mikebore
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Over several months since v4 was first released, I really really tried with the MAS version and iCloud syncing. I have two Macs, two iPads and two iPhones. Sometimes everything worked fine for a couple of weeks, but then something would go wrong, always fixable by a reset or reinstall. I mentioned in a few posts that I loved 1Password but it had become a high maintenance app in my experience.

Then about six weeks ago I switched from MAS and iCloud syncing to Agilebits Store version with Dropbox syncing...and since then everything has been rock solid again. I withdraw any comments about 1Password being high maintenance!

From a diagnostic point of view I shouldn't have changed both MAS to Agile and iCloud to Dropbox at the same time, as now I don't know which factor has given the benefit, but my feeling is that it is Dropbox. I had been wanting to switch to the Agile Store version for some time (to keep more up to date and get back in the beta), but while persisting with iCloud I stayed with MAS version, because of the warning that iCloud can't be guaranteed to continue to work with the Agile version. So once I decided to switch to Dropbox it made sense to switch to Agile Store.

Only one datapoint in a big population. Other peoples experience may be different. Tempting to say something must have been wrong with my MAS/iCloud set up, but part of my efforts to make it work included complete uninstall (every byte) and reinstall.

Just offering my experience FWIW.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'll join in: I use the AgileBits version on my Mac and have never had any trouble syncing with Dropbox or iCloud. I've used both for extended periods. I'm currently using iCloud, but if Apple were ever to deny me access, I'd have no hesitation to go back to Dropbox, or whatever other sync solution come in the future.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikebore, @AndrewParker and @hawkmoth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in about happy things! I'm so thrilled to hear that sync is working smoothly for you.

Keep being awesome. :)

This discussion has been closed.