Auto-submit stopped working after extension update [MAS users: install auto-submit script]

Options
P2in
P2in
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

1P 4.4 Safari 7.0.3 - auto-submit stopped working on all logins. Restated Mac, restarted 1P mini, but still not able to get browser ext to auto submit.

Comments

• teebone
    teebone
    Community Member
    Options

I use Safari 7.0.4 and also noticed this problem (also, one of my Login user name fields seemed messed up but that is another topic).
    Please fix the auto submit function!

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, please try installing our auto-submit script:

Install auto-submit script

This should improve the auto-submit function for you. :)

• SirAtilla
    SirAtilla
    Community Member
    Options

JasperP - before installing this additional script can we get an explanation of why it is required and what it actually does? I too after this auto update to 4.2 extension on Safari/Firefox have lost auto-submit.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SirAtilla,

Our developers have made some big changes to the extension with the 4.2 release. You can read all about the improvements on our blog, but the relevant line is here:

[IMPROVED] Autosubmit no longer clicks a submit element unless it is 100% certain it will have no side effects. Mac App Store users will need to install this Autosubmit Script: http://i.agilebits.com/jp/Install1PasswordAutosubmit.zip

This script is required for users who purchased from the Mac App Store due to Apple's sandboxing regulations. Apps sold in the Mac App Store are only allowed to store their program data in a certain location. From this location, 1Password cannot interact with your browser. The auto-submit script is an external library that makes it possible for the browser extension to 'click' the submit button in the browser.

I hope this helps to explain things for you, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• billfrech
    billfrech
    Community Member
    Options

Once installed, does this script continue to function with future updates, or does it need to be reinstalled each time?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billfrech,

This update was an anomaly. The script should continue to function properly from now on, without the need to reinstall! :)

• billfrech
    billfrech
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thank you!

• P2in
    P2in
    Community Member
    Options

1P4.4 was installed on my machine 5/1, and it was not until yesterday where I experience this behavior. Just wanted to know why this took almost a month before it was necessary to apply script. Also, the explanation I read why the Mac App Store update took so long was for Agilebits to work out the glitches other had experienced with the release of the web based app. ??

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @P2in,

Like Megan said above, our developers have made some big changes to the browser extension with yesterday's release of version 4.2 release. One of the improvements was related to auto-submit. We're using a much better method of submitting now, but due to the required sandboxing of the Mac App Store version, you need to install the extra auto-submit script.

[IMPROVED] Autosubmit no longer clicks a submit element unless it is 100% certain it will have no side effects. Mac App Store users will need to install this Autosubmit Script: http://i.agilebits.com/jp/Install1PasswordAutosubmit.zip

And @P2in, the last Mac App Store update (4.4) was released at the exact same time as the AgileBits website update was released.

Also, for anyone wondering ( @SirAtilla ), the auto-submit installer simply creates an AppleScript file in the ~/Library/Application Scripts/ directory. The script is only one line: tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

I installed that script (and it's in the Application Scripts directory), but it didn't work. Neither Firefox nor Safari will auto-submit.

• Xsess
    Xsess
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for posting the Autosubmit script. Solved the problem for me.

However, it would be really nice if you could notify your users about such a change to a fundamental feature of your solution instead of having everybody manually search for a solution to this issue.

Or, at least, highlight it on your website and in the blog post (make it bold, red, or something). Hiding this instruction in one of the many bullet points there doesn't really help to be honest...

• nickel
    nickel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I am using 1P 4.4 ,Safari 7.0.4 and yesterday auto-submit stopped working on all my logins.
    Today I installed the auto submit script, restarted my computer but still no auto-submit.
    What next to do ?

• nickel
    nickel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Problem solved.
    The auto-submit script did not install because of security reasons the computer did not allow the program to open.
    By giving permission to open the program in the system preferences \ security the program could install the script
    and auto-submit was back.

• peterport
    peterport
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I agree with Xsess that it would have helped if the blog post had drawn more attention to the need for all App Store users to download & install an additional file. I had glanced at the blog post at the time, but missed that & after several dead ends have eventually landed at this forum post.

Incidentally, the Admins might be interested to know that I downloaded the file, copied it to my various Macs & installed. The two running Mavericks installed without a hitch, whereas the two running Mountain Lion came up with a warning box stating: 'The action "Display Notification" could not be loaded because it could not be located'. However, upon re-launching Safari, the auto-fill was back working as normal (on all machines).

All the Macs are fully up-to-date (apart from still running Mountain Lion) & the installations took place in Standard User Accounts.

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

@nickel: What 'system preferences / security' are you talking about, specifically?

• nickel
    nickel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mr. Laser Beam,
    It are the System Preferences of the iMac then Security and Privacy / General.
    Here one can give permission which downloaded programs can be opened b.e from Mac App Store.
    The auto-submit installer from Agilbits was not recognized as an Mac App Store program , it was said that it was from un unknown developer and
    therefor not allowed to open.
    One had to give specific permission to open this program.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

I can't believe I had to spend 20 minutes looking for why auto submit wasn't happening, only to initially be told about a vague blog post, and then have to track down this thread. Is 1Password only for tech people now? Can't wait to get the email from my Mom on why her 1Password isn't working anymore. Oh mom....didn't you browse the forums?!?

I mean "[IMPROVED] Autosubmit no longer clicks a submit element unless it is 100% certain it will have no side effects."

What is a side effect? How does it know?

Doesn't this really mean......if you own the MAS version, it won't ever autosubmit? I mean I have some Miva store login pages where a username/password box is the only thing on the page and the new extension wouldn't auto submit those. Seems to me having only a login form on a page shouldn't have any "side effects".

@JasperP thank you for at least the detailed explanation on what the script is and what it does. Don't know why that couldn't have been an asterisk in the blog post. I don't typically like to install scripts without knowledge of what they do and where they go.

-Kevin

• richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    Options

Very disappointing. Like others here 1PW auto-submit suddenly stopped working on our three Macs yesterday.

We're using a much better method of submitting now,...

Really? The fact that it completely stopped working for those that purchased the App Store version of 1PW would say otherwise.

It's understood that software (from any manufacturer/developer) can and will change and that updates to address those changes are required. However the idea that anyone should have to figure this out on their own and then manually install a script to get 1PW to do what it had been doing fine (and is advertised to do) is not only kludgy but absurd.

Blaming this on Apple is also nonsense and unprofessional as well. Their sandboxing security feature is not new.

How many thousands of 1PW users are out there wasting hours of their time trying to figure out what went wrong? This should have been communicated to customers as soon as it was discovered.

Very disappointing agilebits.

• mingland
    mingland
    Community Member
    Options

Peterport, I am currently on Mountain Lion and I am experiencing the same problems that are being discussed. When I went to install the file, I received the notification that you were talking about. Did you find that if you are on Mountain Lion there is no patch then? Does this file only work if you have upgraded to Maverick?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mr Laser Beam,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Auto-Submit Script. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @nickel and @peterport‌,

I do apologize for the trouble here, but I'm so glad that you both were able to get the issue sorted out - thanks for sharing the fix! (I'll pass along to our developers that there is an error message displaying on Mountain Lion - we'll do what we can to get this sorted out.)

• rob
    rob
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hey guys, in reference to the "why take away Auto-submit completely" here's basically what happened:

We used to have two methods of performing Auto-submit. One was good, the other one was not so good. By not so good, I mean that it caused problems for lots of users, often submitting search forms or doing other things instead of submitting the correct form.

Now, the website version used both methods (depending on the situation), but the Mac App Store version only ever used the not-so-good method because of Mac App Store guidelines.

If Mac App Store users were experiencing specific Auto-submit problems, we would recommend they install script we've been talking about, which would enable the good method. It wasn't as much of an issue, though, because the not-so-good method was there, and even though it was not-so-good, it was something.

With the release of the 4.2 update to the 1Password extension (an update to the browser extension, not to the 1Password app), we decided to solve a bunch of users' problems by taking away the not-so-good method from both versions. This left the website version with just the good method, but unfortunately it left the Mac App Store version with nothing. That's why it's now necessary to install the script that was only optional before.

However, we do apologize for not making this clearer. This has been brought to the developers' attention, and AgileBits co-founder Dave Teare is personally on the job of making this info easier to find. We should have done it earlier, though, and for that we apologize. :-(

• peterport
    peterport
    Community Member
    Options

Hi mingland, auto-fill worked on Mountain Lion after installing the file. I presume the Display Notification warning was merely relating to some new visual element in Mavericks that Mountain Lion lacks but that doesn't affect the actual underlying operation. Having dismissed the warning window & relaunched Safari, auto-fill was back working again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, @peterport. We're working on getting an updated version of the script uploaded. I'm glad things are working well, but it would be nice to resolve that error however harmless it may be. :)

I'm going to close this thread for now. For anyone coming across this via Google (or otherwise), please be sure to read the pinned topic with all the details:

Auto-submit not working in Mac App Store version of 1Password after 4.2 extension update

If we can be of further assistance, please create a new thread. We would love a chance to better assist you!

This discussion has been closed.