Multiple 1Password menu bar items

Options
Scottman
Scottman
Community Member

I have two instances of the 1Password menu bar item on my iMac. One shows my latest Agilebits updated password while the other does not. Is there a way to remove the unneeded menubar instance without losing the other? Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scottman,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. It sounds to me like you may have recently switched versions of 1Password (from the Mac App Store to the webstore version, or vice versa?)

Please let me know which version of 1Password you purchased/would like to continue using, so that I can give you the correct instructions to remove the unnecessary Mini. :)

• Scottman
    Scottman
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I guess I best keep the AppStore version. Thanks.

• Scottman
    Scottman
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I hope keeping the AppStore version doesn't keep me from upgrading properly in the future. I don't want to have to buy it new each time through the AppStore. Whatever is most convenient to use and upgrade in the future is the version I will keep. Thanks again.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I should be very surprised in the Mac App Store and AgileBits store versions ever got out of step (i.e., so that you had to pay for an upgrade to one but not the other). I really can't imagine that happening. However, I'm sure someone from AgileBits will be along to give you more formal reassurance.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scottman,

Since we're still working on getting 1Password 4 released across all of the platforms, we don't have many plans for future major upgrades to 1Password at this time. So I can't say much about which path will be more convenient in the future. I can tell you though that we will do our best to make things easy for both Mac App Store and webstore customers.

So, if we're keeping the Mac App Store version, we'll want to remove the Mini from the webstore version:

I’d like you to open Terminal (Applications > Utilities).

Copy and paste the following line into Terminal, and press return:

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

Then copy & paste the next line into Terminal, again followed by pressing return:

launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

Take a look in your Applications folder. If you have a '1Password 4' app in addition to the '1Password' app, move the '1Password 4' app to the Trash. (The 1Password 4 app is the webstore version, and the 1Password app is from the Mac App Store.)

Then empty the Trash on your Mac, and restart the Mac entirely.

This should leave you with one copy of 1Password, and one handy 1Password Mini. Please let me know how this works for you!

• Scottman
    Scottman
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, Thanks for the quick response. I've had a change of heart after reading your response. It appears that 1Password4 is the future. If that is the case I will keep the download version and throw away the Mac App Store version. Sorry for the confusion but it sounds like 1Password4 is the best way to go since there are no plans to upgrade 1Password. Could I bother you for the directions to keep 1Password4 and get rid of the Mac App Store version?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Scottman,

So, if we're keeping the AgileBits version, here's how to remove the mini from the Mac App Store version:

I’d like you to open Terminal (Applications > Utilities).

Copy and paste the following line into Terminal, and press return:

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Then copy & paste the next line into Terminal, again followed by pressing return:

launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Take a look in your Applications folder. If you have a '1Password' app in addition to the '1Password 4' app, move the '1Password' app to the Trash. (The 1Password 4 app is the webstore version, and the 1Password app is from the Mac App Store.)

Then empty the Trash on your Mac, and restart the Mac entirely.

This should leave you with one copy of 1Password, and one handy 1Password Mini. Please let me know how this works for you!

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

Does removing the MAS version from Applications remove it from our Purchases in MAS? I did a clean install of Yosemite and tried moving over the beta version from Mavericks, but it was not licensed. I had to reinstall MAS version then the beta version worked.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌

Removing the MAS version from Applications will not remove it from your Mac App Store purchases. However, the webstore version of 1Password 4 does do a check for the MAS version. If the MAS version is not installed, it will not be able to confirm that you have a Mac App Store license for 1Password.

I'm glad to hear that reinstalling the MAS version got the beta working for you! Thanks for helping us to test the latest version of 1Password. :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to leave both versions installed. Using the terminal command to remove the additional mini from Menu bar did the trick. Sticking through restarts.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dianeoforegon‌

I'm so glad to hear that things are working smoothly for you now! Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns - we're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.