Help with updating existing passwords

Options
gtrplr2
gtrplr2
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Hello to all. I am a complete noob at this program and it shows. I have not been able to reset one single password in over 2 hours of trying. The sites I visit where I currently have pass words ask me to log in and then when I go to change my password it will email me a new password to log in with, and I use that new password and log in and then it will ask me to enter my current password (the one I just received) and then to enter the new password and verify it. When I get to the new password part I go to the password generator and use it to auto fill in the password. I will do that and then save the info to the website. I then log out to try the new log in, and I get the message that the password does not match the one on file or something to that effect on every one I try to change. I just can not figure out why I am having such a problem, as I hoped the program would simplify my life (and it might once I can figure out what the heck I am doing wrong) but right now it is killing me! It is even happening here on this site, and I have never had a password here before.

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@gtrplr2,

Here are some instructions that might help:
    learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/update-password.html

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gtrplr2‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. I hope that @DavidB's link helps you out - it's a useful guide.

Essentially, when you start using 1Password, there are two main things that 1Password can help you with:

• Saving your login information for all those sites that require you to sign in every time you visit, and
    • Helping to generate strong passwords when you want to update your current login information or log in to a new site.

(There are plenty of other cool features, but these are probably the ones you're most anxious to get started with!)

To save your current login information in 1Password:

• Make sure that the 1Password browser extension (https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html) is installed on your browser
    • Visit a site and log in as normal
    • 1Password will ask to save the username and password for that site (this happens most of the time, not quite always) - when you are asked to name the site, it helps to make sure the name is unique and memorable so you can find it in your list later!

Once a login is saved, all you need to do to login to that site again is:

• Click the extension icon (looks like a key) and unlock if needed. * Once unlocked you can click the item for the site, it will open the site and log you in automatically.

(Please note, we're working hard so that this is as automatic as possible, but some websites don't play as nice with 1Password as others.)

You can also use 1Password to generate strong passwords for you:

• Go to the "change password" page of the website (this location depends on the way the website is set up, but it's often under the account settings section).
    • Copy and paste your current password from 1Password into the ‘current password’ field (if there is one)
    • When you are presented with the fields to change your password, you can click the 1Password extension, and choose the password generator (the icon that looks like a combination lock) to create a custom random strong password.
    • Click the Fill button.
    • After filling it on the webpage, 1Password should then prompt you to update your saved login for this site.
    • If 1Password does not prompt you to update your Login, that strong password you just generated has been saved to your clipboard by default when you clicked 'Fill', so all you have to do is open your Login in 1Password and paste the new password in the appropriate field!
    • Please note, that new password is also saved under your Passwords tab automatically until it is safely moved into a Login entry.

I know it might sound complicated to begin with, but once you get used to the workflow, 1Password can make your browsing experience infinitely simpler - and more secure!

This discussion has been closed.