Feature Request: Rename Vaults

Options

Comments

• seltzdesign
    seltzdesign
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Sure thing. You are right it is a secondary vault called "company name". Most of us have a primary vault too. We use Dropbox for Business, so most of us have a personal dropbox and a business dropbox. In the business dropbox you have a "Team" folder by default and in there is a folder called "1Password", which contains the .agilekeychain file.

Now the name of our company has changed and this is one of the few places where the old name is still visible. We are not a huge company, so manually changing the name and relinking the new file as was suggested is doable. It just seems strange that renaming a vault was not considered important enough from the start.

Is the vault name just the name of the file or is the actual name saved as metadata in the .agilekeychain file? What I mean is I could build a new vault with the new name, import all the items from the old vault, delete the old vault, rename the new vault file to the same filename it was before. Will that work, so that I just update the file in Dropbox and since its the same filename it will just read that and show the new name?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Now the name of our company has changed and this is one of the few places where the old name is still visible. We are not a huge company, so manually changing the name and relinking the new file as was suggested is doable. It just seems strange that renaming a vault was not considered important enough from the start.

@seltzdesign: Indeed! We have some experience with the whole name change thing too. ;)

Honestly, while there were some of us who really had a desire for multiple vaults, we had no idea just how popular they would be...and so this just isn't a contingency we planned for, I'm afraid. :(

Is the vault name just the name of the file or is the actual name saved as metadata in the .agilekeychain file? What I mean is I could build a new vault with the new name, import all the items from the old vault, delete the old vault, rename the new vault file to the same filename it was before. Will that work, so that I just update the file in Dropbox and since its the same filename it will just read that and show the new name?

Wow. Awesome question! While opening a new AgileKeychain will have 1Password use the filename as the default vault name, you can change this to whatever you want when you add it. 1Password for Mac actually stores the vault names and all of the vaults themselves in an internal SQLite database. The individual vaults are only created and stored for sync purposes. So unfortunately the vault name will not propagate to other devices; and changing the filename will just break sync with them until you set it up again.

So the best thing to do is still remove the vault in question and then re-add it and change the name:

1. Verify that Dropbox is finished syncing (1Password Preferences > Sync)
    2. 1Password menu > Delete Company Vault on each Mac
    3. Change the vault filename in Dropbox if desired
    4. Double-click the vault on each Mac and add it to 1Password using the new name
    5. Verify Dropbox sync settings in 1Password

It isn't terribly burdensome to do this, but you're right: it would be much easier to be able to simply remake the vault...and even better if this change would propagate to other devices as well! Thanks for bringing this up. :)

• Cubafornian
    Cubafornian
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote to this feature request, too! Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cubafornian: Absolutely! I can't say if or when we might add this feature, but I appreciate you letting us know you'd find it useful too. :)

• jm3
    jm3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team: please, many loyal users have been asking for this for awhile now. Can you please give us an ETA? Not asking for the moon here, it's a rename.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hello @jm3,

You're absolutely right, this is a much-requested feature. We are very aware of the demand for it and we're tracking every vote. I'm sorry to leave you hanging, but as Brenty said last week, we can't say if or when we might add this feature. But we definitely know it would make a lot of users happy, and as such, we are absolutely looking into it.

In the meantime, if you need to rename a vault, there is a workaround as shared by Jasper earlier in this thread.

Thanks for your interest and for getting in touch with us! Do let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. :+1:
    ref: OPM-900

• jm3
    jm3
    Community Member
    Options

This still doesn't allow renaming the primary vault, though, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's correct @jm3 - the workaround would only apply to secondary vaults. The Primary vault is always named "Primary", there is no way to change it. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

• csingh
    csingh
    Community Member
    Options

Don't know how many votes left but please add one more :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will do @csingh, thanks for letting us know! And just to be clear, there's no limit on "votes", and we aren't trying to reach a certain number. A "vote" is really just adding a comment to our internal tracker to let our developers know you would also like to have this feature added. A large number of requests doesn't necessarily mean a feature will be added, but our developers do take that into account (along with other factors) when deciding what features to add.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• glioma
    glioma
    Community Member
    Options

Please add another vote for adding the ability to change the name of the Primary Vault.

• luvis
    luvis
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for changing the name of primary vault

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @glioma and @luvis! :)

• DCW
    DCW
    Community Member
    Options

I have just bought the App for OS so I can use the hardward with the devices and the first thing I wished to do was change the Vault name. I would very much like to be able to do this. Please add my vote.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll be happy to add your vote @DCW, thanks for letting us know! :)

• mhatrey
    mhatrey
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on Ability to Change vault name

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @mhatrey! I've added your vote :)

• c7ene
    c7ene
    Community Member
    Options

Please add another vote for ability to change vault name. thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing in to let us know, we'll be happy to add your feedback to our internal tracker! :)

• jm3
    jm3
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

ok, i hate to be that guy, but how do i unsubscribe from this thread? i get an email every time someone else requests this feature, and there's no unsubscribe link in the email or on the site.

EDIT: ah nevermind, i can click the tiny unlabeled yellow star. sigh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

ok, i hate to be that guy, but how do i unsubscribe from this thread? i get an email every time someone else requests this feature, and there's no unsubscribe link in the email or on the site.
    EDIT: ah nevermind, i can click the tiny unlabeled yellow star. sigh

@jm3: I hate to be that other guy and ping you here again, but you should know that un-starring/un-bookmarking the discussion won't get either of us out of notifications.

That would work if you hadn't posted here (and if know-it-all-pirate-guy didn't @-reply you — sorry!), but if "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in" is checked in your user preference, you'll get these for any discussion where you've left a comment.

To change this, click your name at the top left, then the "user" icon up on the right, then Edit Profile, Notification Preferences, and you can customize the settings there.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry to get you yet another notification to tell you how to not get more notifications...but hopefully this information will help you get things setup how you want them. :pirate:

• rckingsley
    rckingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is another vote for being able to rename the primary vault. My 90 year-old dad now uses 1Password (we don't use the 'Family' version of 1Password), and I sync his vault with my copy. Unfortunately, since his vault name is "1Password", it makes it difficult for me know which one is his primary vault and which one is mine.
    Otherwise, you have a terrific product!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rckingsley,

Thanks so much for the feedback! It’s great to hear that 1Password is helping to keep your family secure. I’ll be sure to add your vote to the feature request in our internal tracker. :)

• mrnosuch
    mrnosuch
    Community Member
    Options

Add my vote in regards to secondary vaults.

Company names do change, and it's kind of silly to have to jump through hoops to change the name of a secondary vault. It seems a dubious design decision to make a human readable and definable name something that can never be changed.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• Lawdawg
    Lawdawg
    Community Member
    Options

I concur. Need to be able to rename.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lawdawg

Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, we'll keep that in mind for the future :chuffed:

• Granite Mac
    Granite Mac
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for rename primary vault

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! :)

• j1mandel
    j1mandel
    Community Member
    Options

I too would very much like to rename an account vault. Or delete the account and start over. or add a vault and delete the unwanted vault. Anything. Here's to hoping you get this done soon.
    Also, I would vote for a quick chromebook solution. Chromebook's are eating Apple and Microsoft a new bodily orifice and you are ceding password management to LastPass, a much inferior product - IMO.
    Thank you for listening
    j1mandel

This discussion has been closed.