Saving new logins doesn't recognize keyboard input

Options
ZamboniMan
ZamboniMan
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

When attempting to save a new login, the form pops up but the name is blank until you click on the triangle to expand the form.

When trying to unlock 1Password to save a new login, the form pops up and anything you type is not displayed until you click on the gear icon in the lower left. Type a few characters of the password, click on the icon and the field shows * for each character you typed. Continue typing and the characters still don't show up until you click on the gear icon again.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password extension does not correct this.

Restarting Safari after reinstalling the extension does not fix this.

Rebooting my MacBook Air (OS X 10.9.3) after reinstalling the extension does not fix this.

I've also installed the auto-submit script without any change in the above behavior. I can successfully login to multiple sites with the new script installed but saving any new logins is still behaving very badly.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZamboniMan,

I'm sorry that 1Password is misbehaving for you like this when saving new Login items. Which specific version of 1Password are you using? You can find that information by selecting About 1Password under the main 1Password menu, e.g.:

When attempting to save a new login, the form pops up but the name is blank …

Is that a 1Password Save Login autosave window that initially looks like this?

… until you click on the triangle to expand the form.

And then it looks like this?

When trying to unlock 1Password to save a new login, the form pops up and anything you type is not displayed until you click on the gear icon in the lower left.

I'm not sure what's happened at this point. Was 1Password locked after the autosave window (like above) appeared and then changed to look like this?

Type a few characters of the password, click on the icon and the field shows * for each character you typed. Continue typing and the characters still don't show up until you click on the gear icon again.

You're switching between typing and clicking the gear while entering the Master Password in the 1Password Autosave window to get the full password input there?

Thanks in advance for the additional information to help get this figured out and fixed for you!

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Version 4.4 from the Mac App Store.

Is that a 1Password Save Login autosave window that initially looks like this?
    Yes it is.

Clicking on the triangle does not fully show all the fields in the form. The box only partially expands and some of the fields are still hidden.

If I unlock the vault first, saving new logins also misbehaves requiring extra clicks before anything you type gets recognized.

If I don't use other controls in the dialog box to get the password to appear when unlocking, the password is not recognized.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help you track down this problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks for those followup details, @ZamboniMan.

At this point we'd like to get a better idea of what's going on 'under the hood' there that might be causing this problem. To do that, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. After sending it, a brief comment here will help us keep an eye out for it and get this resolved for you quicker. :)

Thanks again!

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostics are on the way to you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Report received, @ZamboniMan -- thanks!

Can you let me know if there's any difference after restarting 1Password mini and, if not, restarting your system?

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting 1password mini has no effect and per my original message, restarting my system didn't make a difference either. Neither did uninstalling, rebooting, and then re-installing the Safari extension.

One thing I'm wondering if it is causing issues is using Onyx to increase the minimum font size to make the system usable without having to constantly zoom in and out. Unfortunately, resetting the font settings would make my system extremely clunky and painful to use but I will give this a try later today when I have more time to fight with the system once the font settings are reset.

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

Just got done restoring defaults with Onyx and rebooting and it is partially working now.

If I unlock 1Password first, the Save New Logiin dialog works the way you expect it to.

If 1Password is locked, no prompt is made to unlock the vault or save the new login.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @ZamboniMan,

Thought I'd ask about restarting 1Password mini and/or your system since the report you sent in show both have been running awhile. :)

I'm glad you've figured out that adjusting minimum font size with Onyx is responsible for part of your problem. Is 1Password's autosave window the only place you've noticed an issue with doing that?

If 1Password has never been unlocked during the current login session then autosave will silently fail, without prompting to unlock or save/update a Login. After it's been unlocked once and then relocked you should see this 1Password Autosave window:

Is that how it's working for you?

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

The silent failing makes sense then. Thank you for that clarification. I see now that new attempts do bring up the login box if I tell 1Password to lock itself beforehand after unlocking it at least once after a restart.

For the moment, I guess I'll have to deal with the odd behavior when Onxy has the font sizes increased as my system is fairly unfriendly to me without it.

Hopefully, either you'll find a way to reproduce the problem so it can be fixed or Apple will finally offer some better options with OS X Yosemite when it comes out later this year, although, I'm not holding my breath on that one. I've been waiting years for Apple to add font control to their iTunes store and it's like talking to an empty room.

Thank you for all the time you've spent. I really appreciate it. If there is anything else I can do to help figure this out, please let me know.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZamboniMan‌

I'm so glad to hear that @sjk's explanation was helpful. I'm sorry that we don't have a better answer for you right now, but we'll keep our eye on this. Hopefully Yosemite will come with some lovely options for us all!

• ZamboniMan
    ZamboniMan
    Community Member
    Options

No worries. I'm pretty patient. I'm waiting for some usability improvements before I move everything over to 1Password but so far I'm very pleased with how reliable the syncing has been between my laptop and iPad.

I've already gotten into the habit of unlocking 1Password first, before opening up all my password protected sites every morning.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZamboniMan,

Your patience here is much appreciated. I'm so glad you're impressed with 1Password so far. :) We're here if you have any further questions, or usability improvements that we should know about.

This discussion has been closed.