1password appears to have blown up in my face

Options
weirdcuba
weirdcuba
Community Member

first, I get a message that 1password is broken, please delete and re-download. I do that and it opens, but then there is no backup file where the backup file is supposed to be (and the library appears to be missing). Now, the browser extension (which used to work before I did the delete/ redownload) won't work and it says "vault / null". This is death for me - I won't be able to get into anything. What do I do?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

(and the library appears to be missing).

If by that you mean the Library folder in your home folder, this is hidden by default. Use Got Folder in the Finder's Go menu, and go to ~/Library. There are other ways of going there.

Where your 1PW database, and its backups, are depends on whether you got 1PW from the App Store or from Agile Bits directly.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See post #6 in this thread for location of backup files (as @danco‌ says, depending on whether you have the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits store version). Check the relevant folder for backups.

Stephen

• weirdcuba
    weirdcuba
    Community Member
    Options

Now, I've found two backup files. One appears to be from the store version and one from the website version (I didn't remember where I'd gotten my original version). The problem is, when I'm in the 1password application, I can't get back to either of them. I can find them with the Finder's Go menu, but can't find a way to locate them from the "locate backup" function within 1password. Sorry to be dense, but (a) this shouldn't be happening, and (b) the application should make it rock solid and find the darn backup for you anywhere it is on the machine.

• weirdcuba
    weirdcuba
    Community Member
    Options

Can't I get a phone number to call? I've got to get this worked out, asap. This is ridiculous. I'm glad to pay for the time - I shouldn't have to, but if that's what it takes, I'm glad to do it. I have no earthly idea why the application would be constructed so that I have to go hunting through hidden files to find a backup. Please, please, please help me.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Keep calm, someone will be along to help you sort this. There is no "phone number to call", sorry.

Try this:

1. Find your backups using Finder and drag the latest of each backup into the Finder sidebar.
    2. Now go to 1P4 > Preferences > Backup > Find Backups and you should see those two backups in the sidebar, which will enable you to load and check them, one by one.

Does that help?

Incidentally, I suspect your problems stem from the fact you have, or have had, two versions of 1P4 running on your machine: the Mac App Store one and the AgileBits store version, so we have to sort that too I think. Let's try taking things step by step first.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @weirdcuba‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.