Updating master password on a second Mac [resolved with rebuilt keychain in Dropbox]

Options
mkp101
mkp101
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

Hi there
I have 1Password 4 running on two Macs. I updated the master password on one of these Mac (call it Mac #1) last month, but didn't update it on the other Mac (Mac #2). Now I can't remember the master password on Mac #2, so I can't log in and update the master password on that device.

Is there a file I can update to update the master password of Mac#2?

I am using Dropbox to sync, if that makes any difference.

I tried removing the app and downloading it again, but that didn't help. It asks for the master password when starting, and won't accept the password for Mac #1.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

As long as all of your data is present on Mac #1 (where you know the password), you can start over on Mac #2, then re-sync your data to it.

Please let me know if that helps! :)

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JasperP,
    Thanks very much for your advice. I followed the "start over" procedure exactly, but the master password is still being rejected. When I re-started 1Password, the login screen says "We found data in your Dropbox. Unlock it with your Master Password or click here to select a different option".

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

I'm sorry to hear that this is still giving you trouble. Do you have any special characters in your Master Password? Currently we recommend only using ASCII characters.

I'd like you to log in to your account at www.dropbox.com, and find the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain. Clicking on this file will activate 1PasswordAnywhere. Is your Master Password accepted here?

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for your input. When I click on 1Password.agilekeychain within Dropbox on Mac#2, the master password is rejected. When I do the same on Mac#1, the master password is accepted.

There are no special characters in the master password.

• Jasper
    Options

Could you please log in to your account at www.dropbox.com, and find the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain. Clicking on this file will activate 1PasswordAnywhere. Is your Master Password accepted there?

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jasper. I don't think I follow what you mean: "find the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain"

I went to the 1Password.agilekeychain file within Dropbox > I clicked on the 1Password.agilekeychain file > the login screen comes up.

How do I find the 1Password.html file inside the 1Password.agilekeychain?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

Did you first log in on the Dropbox website site with your browser?

After that, you'll look for the 1Password.agilekeychain folder, e.g.:

Click that to open it, look for 1Password.html inside there, and click it, e.g.:

You should then see a 1PasswordAnywhere screen like this in your browser:

Does your Master Password unlock the keychain there?

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    Thanks for that, now I understand. I didn't realise I needed to use the web version of Dropbox.
    I opened 1Password.html.
    The result: incorrect password.
    Same result for Mac#1 and Mac#2

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

I'm sorry that unlocking your Agile Keychain in Dropbox with 1PasswordAnywhere isn't working for you. Did you try the old Master Password you previously used to unlock 1Password on Mac #1 before you changed it there? And have you also tried that Master Password to unlock 1Password on Mac #2?

Are you currently able to unlock 1Password on Mac #1 and does it contain all of your 1Password data that you need? And are you only using 1Password on the two Macs?

Thanks in advance for that additional information before suggesting what you can do next to fix this.

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk, Unfortunately I don't remember the old Master Password (I made it too complicated, which was why I changed it).
    Yes, I am currently able to unlock 1Password on Mac #1. It contains all of my 1Password data.
    Yes, I am only using 1Password on the two Macs.
    Thanks very much for your assistance :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

Thanks for that helpful information. Here's a quick summary of what I'd like you to do:

• Reset Dropbox syncing on Mac #1 so it rebuilds the Agile Keychain in Dropbox.
    • Let the rebuilt keychain sync with Mac #2.
    • Recreate the 1Password database on Mac #2 using the rebuilt keychain.

Essentially what @JasperP had mentioned earlier in post #2:

As long as all of your data is present on Mac #1 (where you know the password), you can start over on Mac #2, then re-sync your data to it.

Here are more detailed steps:

1. Open 1Password on Mac #2, then press Control-Command-q to quit 1Password and 1Password mini there.

2. Open 1Password on Mac #1, select File > Backup from the menu to create a current backup.

3. Click the 1Password 4 menu, then Preferences…. Click Sync, and then Change Syncing….

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.
    4. Allow Dropbox to fully sync, which will include removing the current Agile Keychain from Mac #2.

5. Still on Mac #1, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose…, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and click Open.

6. Click Create New, which will regenerate a new Agile Keychain named 1Password.agilekeychain in the 1Password folder in Dropbox.

7. Again, allow Dropbox to fully sync and copy the rebuilt keychain to Mac #2.

8. Run 1PasswordAnywhere in your web browser (on either Mac) to make sure you can unlock the new keychain before continuing.

9. Now you're ready to start over again on Mac #2 from the Rename the data folder step, this time letting it use the newly rebuilt/resyncing keychain from Dropbox during the next setup.

And that should do it!

Please let us know how it goes. If you run into trouble or have any questions we're here to help. :)

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed it! Thank you very much!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

I'm so glad to hear that @sjk's steps helped get you all sorted out - thanks for letting us know! If you have any further questions or concerns, we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.