Attachment Management Difficulty in version 4.5.2

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member
edited June 2014 in iOS

Today I decided to check on the status of attachment management in the iOS version. I see that there is still no method to add or delete attachments on an iOS device in version 4.5.2. Syncing from the Mac version to iOS does work, as it did in the past.

However, before, when I deleted an attachment on the Mac and waited for syncing on my iOS devices, the attached file remained there as an empty file name. That is, the records appeared to have an attachment on the iOS device, but when the user tapped on the file to display its contents, nothing was there. The only way to remove that remnant of a deleted attachment was to duplicate the record on the Mac, then delete the older version.

Things have changed. When I create a dummy login record and add an attachment, it syncs normally via iCloud to my iOS devices. In my case, I tried this first on my iPad. Then I deleted the record from my Mac and waited for syncing to complete. The attachment remains on my iPad, complete with its contents. It is no longer an empty record as it was before.

And perhaps a slightly interesting additional wrinkle: When I deleted the attachment on the Mac, I then opened 1Password on my iPhone. The new dummy record synced across without any attachment. My memory is a little hazy about this, but I seem to recall that the empty record came over even after it was deleted on the Mac in older versions.

So I added a second attachment to the dummy record and confirmed that it synced correctly to both the iPad and the iPhone. Then I deleted that on the Mac. Given the experience I just detailed, I was not surprised to see that the attachment, including its contents, remained on both devices. I now have a record on my iPad with two attachments. The same record in my iPhone has only one attachment, the second one I added. In both cases, the attachments are complete with their original contents.

Clearly something has been changed somewhere is development in how attachments are handled, since attachment name and contents are retained on iOS devices, even though the attachments were deleted on the Mac.

If this is all well known, my apologies for the rehash, but I didn't find anything about this new wrinkle.

I also would like to re-stress the importance of bringing attachment management directly to the iOS version.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks so much for testing attachments in the new version. I definitely agree that attachment management is important and should be dealt with. I've shared your thoughts with our developers in the hopes we can get some improved behaviour here soon!

This discussion has been closed.