Crash on iOS 8

Options
mkleehammer
mkleehammer
Community Member

Crashes on login screen after a few seconds whether you type or not.

Comments

• mkleehammer
    mkleehammer
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to mention, it is on an iPad Air with cellular.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting this, @mkleehammer‌! We just got iOS 8 when everyone else did, so there may be much that doesn’t work. We're aware of this issue, though, and it will be resolved in an update. If you're beta testing Apple's developer builds, we'd love to have you beta testing ours as well: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/new :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @khad‌ I saw this post on macrumors. This would be great if this happened

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19175435&postcount=26

• David Gustavson
    David Gustavson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it would be such a help to have 1Password work with Safari in IOS!

• Eric Harker
    Eric Harker
    Community Member
    Options

The temporary workaround solution I've found is to reinstall the app in iOS 8, choose the 'New User' option, then sync over wifi from my Mac. It will download the existing items from the Mac app into a new vault.

• shellshock
    shellshock
    Community Member
    Options

It's working flawlessly for me on an iPad Mini w/ Retina display. My iPhone 5s, not so much.

On the 5s, I can launch it once
    Existing user -> dropbox sync -> allow in dropbox
    Once I get back to 1password is will crash

Reinstalling the app yields the same results.

• danmjacks
    danmjacks
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Eric Harker, this workaround will do the trick..

• bulutcy
    bulutcy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    ios8 on iPhone 5S here. Instant crash on first screen. I reinstalled and same crash occurs.

• mkleehammer
    mkleehammer
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmed that the workaround does work (Install as new user and use Wifi sync only) on iPad Air. Also confirmed that re-enabling iCloud sync crashes it again and you must re-install.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime and David,

Please take a look at our new blog post: On iOS 8, App Extensions, OS X Yosemite, and 1Password.

As @Khad mentions above, we just found out about all the cool iOS 8 stuff when you did, and we're really excited, but we'll need a bit of time to investigate and determine how we can best make use of these new features.

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in this! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shellshock and @bulutcy‌

Thanks so much for reporting your experiences here. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with iOS 8. Our developers are on the case. :)

• trob55
    trob55
    Community Member
    Options

Great to know that you are working on it, just signed up for your beta test program, would be happy to help :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trob55,

Thank so much for signing up to help test the latest and greatest versions of 1Password! :)

• Hotblue
    Hotblue
    Community Member
    Options

Joined the forum and signed up for the beta of 1Password. A friend and I use 1Password as a part of our daily routine.

I have been working around the iOS issue like others. Will attempt to set up as new user too.

• drvenkman
    drvenkman
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Tried the workaround on a 5s. As soon as I entered a master key on the setup card, the app crashed. Any other suggestions (I have signed-up for the beta but haven't heard anything)?

• Hotblue
    Hotblue
    Community Member
    Options

I confirm the same on 5s.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hotblue and @drvenkman‌

Thanks for reporting this crash. We're looking into how to ensure that 1Password 4 works great in this brand new operating system. Since we did only got our hands on iOS 8 at the same time that you did, it may take some time to get everything polished up and sorted out yet. :)

We are not yet sure if this bug is in 1Password 4 for iOS itself, or in iOS 8. Please note that in either case, it is going to take some time to resolve:

1) If it's a bug in 1Password, we'll need to track it down, squash it, and then the fix version will need to be approved by Apple before it is available to users.
    2) If it's a bug in iOS 8, we'll need to report it, and it will have to be fixed by Apple, on their time schedule.

In general, as awesome and exciting as a new operating system is, I would be hesitant to install it immediately on your primary device. One of the joys of beta testing is helping to squash all of the bugs before it is polished enough to release to the masses. This means that there are likely to be areas that need improvement, and others that just don't work right. That being said, we'll do our best to get this crash resolved just as soon as possible!

• Hotblue
    Hotblue
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed! I knew the risk when getting the beta. Thankfully I have 1Password on multiple platforms so its just an annoyance now. I would love to contribute to fixing the crash issue as a fellow canuck :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hotblue,

Fantastic. That's what we love to hear! If our developers need any further information, we'll be sure to ask. :)

• drvenkman
    drvenkman
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Megan‌

Thank you for responding.

On another note, I understand what a beta is (I too am a developer) and the timeline for identifying and addressing bugs. However, given that this is a forum (which typically means people share information), I don't understand the point of your condescending, "it isn't our fault, we just got iOS 8 too" posts. If we can't discuss workarounds (i.e., the fact that customers are willing to continue to use the app and discuss methods to make it work suggests to me we find the app very valuable, are willing to continue to use it even if it isn't working perfectly, and are not simply here to complain), what is the point of having a forum?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drvenkman,

I'm so sorry if my response sounded condescending, that was certainly not my intent! I'm so glad to hear that users are discussing workarounds - that is precisely the point of having forums. I was merely trying to apologize and explain why we didn't yet have any better workarounds than the ones suggested by other users. Because this is a public forum, we do our best to compose posts that will be useful both for developers and power-users, such as yourself, and for less savvy users who might not be as familiar with technical issues. I do apologize if I didn't quite get the balance right here.

• drvenkman
    drvenkman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌

Fiar enough! I'm glad to hear the talk of workarounds will continue - in the past I've found them very useful for providing information on what might be causing a bug.

• Hotblue
    Hotblue
    Community Member
    Options

I tried disabling 1Password in the iCloud documents setting and still got the crash so I it may not have anything to do with iCloud. Looks like it can't create a vault.

• pcryan
    pcryan
    Community Member
    Options

Mine just launches then crashes. Fresh install - power off - tried chant of the ever circling skeletal family - no joy

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ thanks for the link. I am very excited to see nows going to happen with this!

• slowbikerguy
    slowbikerguy
    Community Member
    Options

The crash on start of the app under IOS8 is happening to me too on an iPhone 5s and iPad Air. It crashes after I specify existing user. I sync with iCloud. I have taken Agilebits suggestion and added myself to these forums and signed up for your Beta distribution list.

I have every confidence you'll fix it in due time......

• isepic
    isepic
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to comment on my findings - The 1PW for ios8 on iPhone 5s crashed on me too... I did do a fresh install and installed 1PW virgin, told it to use iCloud at first, then instead of crashing, it went to the "you must turn on iCloud" - even though I already did. I suspect the "beta" iCloud back-end is a tad different, so maybe it can't communicate. But at least it didn't just crash out and gave a hint. So, next I tried to point it to Dropbox, in doing so, I enter my DB credentials, and then where it would normally do the next step (shows you in my case, multiple folders I have 1password 1password_old etc) instead just a white screen. So I think it just needs a bit of tinkering and should be good... but as we all know, the beta backend (if that is what it is) you get working, then will not work if they change it back!

• jeffreyjh
    jeffreyjh
    Community Member
    Options

Same crash here. 5S usually using Dropbox sync. I tried the workaround but still had crashes. I'll test any other workarounds I see posted in this thread.

• birdmanyan
    birdmanyan
    Community Member
    Options

The problem could be the underlying structure of iCloud has changed, so that 1Password tries to write data into iCloud but failed not gracefully. Because iOS8 keeps telling me iCloud document can only be seen in OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 but not previous versions of OS X and iOS.

Even after switching to syncing with Dropbox, 1Password cannot read the content of Dropbox, showing completely blank.

By looking at syslog provided in iOS8 bug report, accessing XPC brings unpredictable behavior, and this leads to 1Password crashes in iOS8.

Hope this could help.

• dcommins
    dcommins
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the crash too (iPhone 5). Reinstalling and setting up as a new user started working but crashed before syncing. I entered a master p/w and was able to start setting it up for WiFi sync. It recognized my MacBook Air as a WiFi sync partner, and after entering the secret code generated by the MBA, and telling it to start syncing, 1Password on the phone crashed. Relaunching will crash within a few seconds.

I also tried deleting 1Password on the phone, rebooting the phone and trying the procedure above but got the same results. I've signed up for the AgileBits Beta program.

This discussion has been closed.