iPhone iCloud set up issues synching w/ 1PW on Mac

Options
jenilyoness
jenilyoness
Community Member

I'm trying to set up 1 Password on my Mac and iPhone tonight. Everything seems to work fine on my Mac. But when I installed 1PW on my iPhone, I set it up with a different master password from my Mac. Was that wrong? Because now my iphone acts like it syncs w/ icloud, but it's not getting any of the login/password info from 1PW on my Mac.

How do I get these 2 talking to each other? I've spent like an hour following instructions on your website, but I'm just spinning my wheels now.

Specs:
Mac 1 Password 4.4
iPhone 1 Password 4.5.2
OS X 10.9.2

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You should have the same password everywhere. I am assuming that you have just set up 1Password for the first time. I also note that you report that you have it set up and syncing with iCloud successfully on your Mac.

If this is all correct, the best thing for your iPhone would be to start over. Delete your current installation on your iPhone and reset the device. Then download a fresh copy from the App Store. When you open it for the first time, you will be asked if you are a new user or have used 1Password before. Choose the option that you have used it before. You'll then be asked to select your sync preference. Pick iCloud. Then you'll be asked for your password. Enter the same one you used to set up your Mac installation. The iPhone should then proceed to sync up with your data already on iCloud.

One more note - you must be logged into iCloud with the same AppleID on both the Mac and iPhone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jenilyoness‌

I'm so sorry for the confusion here.

Your Master Password must be the same across all devices. If you've set up a separate Master Password on your iOS device, it sounds to me like you might have two different databases instead of one. We do have a guide for setting up 1Password 4 for iOS as an Existing User.

Could you tell me where your most complete password database is? Once I know that, we should be able to get everything sorted out. :)

• jenilyoness
    jenilyoness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for your help. The most complete database is in my Mac. Yes, I'm using the same AppleID on my Mac & iPhone.

Now that you mention it, I recall when I was setting up 1PW on my iphone that I did choose new user (silly me since I had just set it up on my Mac moments before). Therefore, I must have created 2 different databases.

I will delete 1PW from my iPhone and re-install it as you suggest. If you have a guide for that, it could come in handy. I'd only give myself a B- on tech-savvy skills. But I'm super grateful for the ways 1PW will secure & streamline my online life...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jenilyoness‌

Here's how to start fresh on your iOS device:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via iCloud.

B- is a pretty reasonable grade, I think. If you have any further questions to get you to an A+, we're here to help! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan - is this user going to be tempted to delete two different databases from iCloud? One of them will be from the Mac and the other from the iPhone. This just gave me a shiver for a minute. I know that things can be set straight from a local backup on the Mac if something like that happens.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

The awesome thing about 1Password 4 is that all data is stored locally as well as in the sync location. Even if the data is removed from iCloud on the Mac end of things, the local copy of the database still exists within the Library folder.

Deleting the data from the sync location merely gives 1Password a chance to generate a fresh new copy of the database.

• jenilyoness
    jenilyoness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan & other helpful folks,

I deleted 1PW from my IOS, and I deleted its vault from iCloud. I verified this by logging into iCloud online - no sign of 1PW.

The problem now is that there's also no sign of my main 1PW vault, which I've been building up on my Mac w/ 1password 4.4. I read a few other discussion boards & tried to follow these instructions on a thread called "Syncing problems after 4.4 Mac update" :

"On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing."

When I go to the 1PW menu, open Preferences and choose Sync, "change syncing" is not an option. All I see are the following options under Sync:
    Sync with:
    iCloud
    Dropbox
    Folder

Naturally, I choose iCloud, which opens a box that says:
    iCoud Sync
    1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with your current vault.

Then I have the option to click either "Cancel" or "Start Syncing." When I click Start Syncing and nothing happens. The "Start Syncing" button turns blue for a second when I click on it. But the dialogue box never goes away (I've tried this several times now, and I tried leaving the box open for over 20 minutes even though I only have like 15 items in my vault so far). As far as I can tell no syncing occurs. I cannot even click close or minimize on 1PW preferences while the box is open. The only way to make the box close to return to preferences is to click "Cancel."

I have tried quitting and restarting 1password. I'm about to try restarting my whole MacbookPro while I'm positive there is no 1PW data showing up on iCloud. Here's hoping that will help.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks for the kind guidance...

• jenilyoness
    jenilyoness
    Community Member
    Options

Since iCloud was clearly not working for me, I SUCESSFULLY (YEAH!) synced by wifi instead. That seems more secure anyway, even if I do have to remember to manually sync periodically.

Thanks for your help, Megan & Hawkmoth!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jenilyoness‌

I'm sorry that iCloud has been giving you such trouble, but I'm thrilled that Wi-Fi seems to be working for you! If you do decide you'd like us to troubleshoot iCloud further, please let us know - we're here for you. Of course, if you're happy with Wi-Fi, that's awesome too. :)

This discussion has been closed.