iOS 8 - Safari Actions

Options
vogonistic
vogonistic
Community Member

According to the Platforms State of the Union talk, there is a Action extension for Safari on iOS that gives you full access to the DOM, which sounds like we can finally get auto fill from 1password for the Safari app.

P.S. I'm aware you are at WWDC and have probably seen it, and that you aren't sure how it works, just like me. I'm just excited to get LocalAuthentication and Safari Actions integrated.

Comments

• iChe
    iChe
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Yes, I'm also very exited about this. This is really, really huge.

Touch ID access is “just” the logical next step to take, not really a surprise, and I guess we will have some interesting comments from the security experts at AgileBits about whether they should use this in 1Password (replacing the master password, replacing the 4 digit code, not using it… ?).

But those extensions, that's awesome. We got so used to iOS being compartmentalize that at some point we forgot that the way we use 1Password on iOS is very different from what it should (and now, hopefully, could!) be, which is the OS X behavior. I can't wait to see if it can be used by 1Password, and if it is, what you're going to do with this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vogonistic‌ and @iChe,

I'm so glad to hear you're excited about the possibilities here! We all are too. You're right, our dev team is currently busy geeking out at WWDC, so there's not much more I can tell you at this point, but you can read about our first thoughts here: On iOS 8, App Extensions, OS X Yosemite, and 1Password.

As far as Touch ID access goes, I'd like to direct your attention to this support article: Will 1Password work with the iPhone 5s fingerprint scanner and Touch ID?. I tend to think that TouchID would be more likely used as a replacement for the PIN and not the Master Password, but I am by no means a security expert. :)

In any case, it's going to be an exciting year here at AgileBits - I can't wait to see how these awesome new tools can be used to improve 1Password!

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I read the two posts you have linked.

I would just like to put my thoughts forward on 1Password and the use of TouchID. Please go for it! I would prefer it designed so your fingerprint unlocks the master password and passcode. Reason: I use 1Password a lot and although my master password is complex it's nowhere near as secure as a fingerprint because I still have to keep it in the realms of realisticness (I invented a word!) so I can relatively easily type it in. Overall TouchID is very reliable, but you could always set it up like iOS so after 5/10 fails it resorts to master password.

Or better yet, how about an option in the settings for both scenarios?

Thanks for reading.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve23094,

Thanks so much for your feedback here! Inventing a word is certainly a clever way to increase the complexity of your Master Password. Have you heard about Diceware passwords? I use this method for my Master Password, and for any other passwords that I may need to remember and type (Dropbox for access to 1PasswordAnywhere, and iTunes for app purchases). You can read about how to create Diceware passwords here: Towards Better Master Passwords. This could help increase the strength of your Master Password even more. :)

As far as TouchID goes, I can't comment much on unreleased features, but I'm glad to hear you're excited about the possibilities! Our developers are looking into how to implement this feature in a secure way, and I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to them.

This discussion has been closed.