Password autofill issues after recent update

Options
sadow
sadow
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I've had issues with autofill not working correctly with a couple of my passwords. The issue seems to be timed with a recent update. Changing the passwords doesn't help. Copying and pasting the passwords works.

The sites I've had trouble with are:

• Ally.com
  • FNBODirect.com
  • Noodles.OLO.com

Other sites have worked fine, but the password is not filling in correctly on the sites listed above, despite working properly when I copy and paste it.

Comments

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member
    Options

Dug some more into it... It appears on all 3 of those websites, it's attempting to populate the password field with my username. Everything worked fine until a recent update.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I noticed that Ally bank site uses a multi-page login, requesting username first then presenting a page that requests the password (I don't have an account there so can't tell for sure). I think you're experiencing the same issue that I had starting today with a website that works that way. I use Safari. The thread I started is below. The discussion with Agilebits in this thread points to an older thread regarding the Bank of America login that has some instructions for fixing the problem which worked for me.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/25677/login-regression-using-safari-extension#latest

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the link to the work-around, but it's just that... It was working until recently, and then it stopped working. This is something agile bits should solve, and I hope giving us instructions to work-around their issue isn't their long-term "solution".

As a note: Ally Bank and FNBODirect both have the password on a separate page, but Noodles.OLO.com does not, it has both fields on one page, and it's trying to populate both with my email address.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

I just found another website where this is happening, so it does seem like a bug in the latest extension. Knowing that it's trying to use the username instead of the password is very helpful information.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sadow and @ag1pwun‌

We've made some pretty big changes to 1Password's filling with the latest version of the extension. It makes filling a lot more reliable on many previously tricky sites. These changes do mean though that some Logins that used to fill properly may need a bit of an update. Please try the steps to Save a New Login Manually. This should get those Logins behaving properly.

As @ag1pwun‌ mentions, the 1Password and Bank of America post is very helpful for saving multiple page Logins.

I hope that saving these Logins again gets things behaving for you, but we're here to help if you're still seeing odd behaviour.

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I've never had a problem with filling until your recent update. If you release an update that causes me to have to do work to fix your issue, it was probably a badly planned update. I have zero desire to use two items for multi-page logins, nor should I have to, this is a flaw in your product.

This should've been an issue you recognized before release, and this recognition should have prevented you from making the changes. I, at first, thought that the password to my bank was compromised. Luckily I am a more technically savvy user, and I was able to ascertain (after changing my bank password about 3 times and panicking trying to figure out how my password might have been compromised) that the issue was that 1Password was incorrectly populating the form. My mother, on the other hand, if she was using 1Password, would not have reached this same conclusion, probably wouldn't have had the foresight to seek help on this forum, and definitely wouldn't have the patience for your workaround.

I maintain that this is a breaking change, and should be unbroken. Add back your "inferior" form filling technique (which mostly worked better for me), and add a setting that allow it to be turned off (globally, or on a per-login basis).

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I think that sadow's frustration is pretty much justified. I too was initially concerned that my password had been exposed and my account modified. As I find more logins that are broken the workaround (re-save) becomes tedious and can be error prone as each of them for me has to have additional security information copied manually to the new login entry.

I know software improvements must occasionally require users to make adjustments on their end. Should we expect this to be something we will have to deal with in the future? Maybe it's unavoidable. But I think if the changes made that induced this issue were to be a common occurrence then the 1Password application would certainly be less desirable, at least for me.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll pass this along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.