Can Primary Vault function as a "master vault"

Options
mdh98368
mdh98368
Community Member

I want to make sure that I understand the interaction between a primary vault and secondary vault(s). Are the respective vaults completely separate? In other words, if I create a login, say, in the secondary vault, the only place that login would be stored is in the secondary vault? The use case I'm trying to explore is one in which a login could exist in a secondary vault and also in the primary vault such that if I change the details of the login, it would "sync" between the two vaults.

Comments

• mdh98368
    mdh98368
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I just discovered the "copy" option for items. However, I'm not quite sure what the use case is where I would copy an item from one vault into another one, but not want them synchronized.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

You are not confused as the current implementation is a bit limited but it is a fairly new feature so it has a lot of potential.

Most people want them to be synced but it isn't possible right now because each vault is separately encrypted. See this thread that discusses this issue. I just posted there with my idea of how I'd like to see the vaults interact. If one vault was given the key to the other vault, it could be possible for them to interact.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mdh98368‌

I do apologize if multiple vaults are a bit confusing right now.

In other words, if I create a login, say, in the secondary vault, the only place that login would be stored is in the secondary vault?

Correct. Logins should only live in one vault. If you have the same Login in multiple vaults, you must be careful to update each individually when a change is made or things will get rather confusing.

The use case I'm trying to explore is one in which a login could exist in a secondary vault and also in the primary vault such that if I change the details of the login, it would "sync" between the two vaults.

Unfortunately, as @Smudge says, this is not possible due to the way that vaults are encrypted. Our developers are looking into ways to make vaults more user-friendly in the future, so your feedback on how you see vaults is much appreciated! :)

This discussion has been closed.