1Password 4 keeps asking for main password

Options
ozZZ
ozZZ
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

At the first login of a new day, 1Password 4 asks me to "unlock" with the master password. How can this be stopped? This is very annoying. I unchecked all the Auto Lock options in preferences.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you turn off your computer, there isn't any way that I know of the avoid the master password on restart. But that's for the protection of your data, and I personally wouldn't want this any other way. I wouldn't want an unknown person to gain access to all my data is s/he turned on my computer without permission.

If you leave your computer on all the time, you can find various options for when the application will lock and require the password again in the Security tab of 1Password Preferences. The are combinations that would leave 1Password open for as long as you like.

• ozZZ
    ozZZ
    Community Member
    Options

I am the only user of my computer at home. I don't have to worry about others using my computer. I'm not going to change my lifestyle for 1Password 4. If I have to unlock everyday, I'd rather go back to 1Password 3 and get my money back. 1Password 3 was kind, friendly, reliable and not annoying.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ozZZ,

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password's lock settings are frustrating you right now. Unfortunately there is no option in 1Password 4 to never ever ask for your Master Password, and I don't think such a feature will be implemented. Entering your Master Password every now and then is good practice, as well as good security. Think of it this way: your Master Password is your only access to your 1Password database. If you never have to enter it, there is a far greater chance that you may at some point forget it. Then you would be unable to access any of your data, which would not be fun.

If this is bothering you to the point that you would like to revert to 1Password 3, I'd be happy to help you with that, although I do hope that the features in version 4 outweigh this inconvenience! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have to worry about others using my computer.

I don't mean to be flippant, but what if someone broke in to your home and stole you entire machine?

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member
    Options

hi ozZZ - bit cheeky of me to reply - been using it for 2 days only - but I had the same trouble and found my answer on AgileBits website. Try changing preferences:
    1Password4 > Preferences then on General tab, uncheck Aways keep 1Password mini running. Then try logging off/on

• Jasper
    Options

After a system shutdown or logging off your user account, you will always need to enter your master password. This is by design, and there is no way to change it.

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Jasper - I wasn't clear in my post. I had the same issue in setting up 1P 4 Mac on my wife's account. The prompt for a master password for my wife was happening at login becase the main 1P4 program was open at time of logout and the logout settings were "re-open windows at login" - thus presenting 1P4 big master password prompt.

I have now set 1P preferences to "Keep 1P Mini Running", quit the main program and after logout/login 1P Mini is running regardless of "re-open windows" or not.
    This must have been the design by those clever folk at AgileBits :)
    She will be happy - only ever prompted for a master password when accessing a stored login. If she opens the main program, just needs to quit it before logging off if she doesnt want to see it next time ... all a bit obvious in hindsight.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @idontno‌

Thanks so much for clarifying your statement. Keeping 1Password Mini running is a great way to have 1Password available for you at any time, whether the main app is open or not. I'm glad you and your wife are enjoying this feature. :)

This discussion has been closed.