Does 1Password for iOS license extend to a different Apple account in household?

Options
Robert_F
Robert_F
Community Member

I purchased 1 Password on my iPad downloaded from the Apple Store. My high school daughter just got an iPhone. She has her own Apple account on her computer and iPhone (different from mine). Is she allowed to load 1Password onto her iPhone without purchasing a new copy? If she is allowed, how can she go about doing this with her own Apple account? I worry that it would mess up her iTunes by her logging in with my account, or can just the app be downloaded without downloading all of my out-of-date music and apps. Thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

All software from Apple's store is tied to the AppleID under which it was purchased. There isn't a way for your daughter to download it under her own account without paying for it.

Your family can, however, install 1Password and any other Apple-supplied software on any iOS device that uses the same AppleID for purchases.

I should add that Apple recently announced family sharing as a feature of the next versions of iOS and OS X. Although the full details aren't clear, that program is supposed to let as many as six family members share media and applications, as long as all accounts share the same credit card. It isn't clear yet whether vendors need to opt in for that to be possible. Since the OS updates aren't due until sometime this fall, we have to await details.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Robert_F‌

All iOS apps (not just 1Password) are sold exclusively by Apple and are licensed on a per-Apple ID basis (so, separate Apple ID unfortunately means separate purchase -- every time).

Depending on how her account is set up, she may not be able to purchase 1Password herself. 1Password has a mandatory 17+ rating due to the built-in web browser. We don't necessarily agree with that, but are told we have to have it.

As for logging in on her device using your account, that is a bit outside our scope, and not really something I could make any guarantees on. You may want to check with Apple on the licensing agreement regarding that.

I'm sorry I don't have a more definite or encouraging answer for you. One of our community members may be able to provide additional insight.

Thanks!

Ben

• Robert_F
    Robert_F
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. That is what I suspected.

I just want to say that I love 1Password and I have my entire family using it. You guys do a great job... very responsive and not a giant "corporate" feel. Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robert_F,

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that Ben's response helped. :)

We're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.