Dropbox sync not working with Macbook and iPhone 5s

Options
jamesb303
jamesb303
Community Member

I noticed that a password was not syncing between my Macbook and iPhone 5s through dropbox. Can someone help guide me in fixing this?
Background:
I am using the latest version 4.4.1 on a Mac with Mavericks and 4.5.2 on the iPhone 5s.
Sync preferences on the Mac shows that it has been updated 30 minutes ago (June 18) and it shows the correct file path to the Dropbox folder where the keychain file resides. But when I go to Dropbox itself and click on the keychain file it shows modified and last opened dates of June 5, which makes me suspicious that it isn't truly updating.

I was hesitant to click the Disable Sync button or toggle the Delete data from Dropbox checkbox in the Sync Preferences. I made a copy of the file before trying anything. Then I clicked the Disable Sync button, and relinked to the existing file. It gave me a warning that "1Password found existing data in Dropbox. It will be merged with your current vault." I went ahead and clicked the Merge with Existing button. The Sync Preferences window showed that it synced a second ago. When I clicked on the file in Dropbox it still showed dates of June 5. After that I went to the iPhone app and disabled sync, then reestablished it and waited for it to update, then checked the password that wasn't updating. Again, it hadn't changed so I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamesb303‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! Thanks for providing such a detailed description of your steps. First of all, I'd just like to clarify something for you:

But when I go to Dropbox itself and click on the keychain file it shows modified and last opened dates of June 5, which makes me suspicious that it isn't truly updating.

Your .agilekeychain file is actually a bundle of files. (You can see all the folders that make up this bundle by right-clicking on the 1Password.agilekeychain in Finder and selecting 'Show Package Contents'.) When any item is updated (either in 1Password or any other app on your system), OS X will change the 'Modified' date for that item, and the folder that it is in. But this only happens to the immediately enclosing folder. Higher level folders will not show the updated 'Modified' date. Because all your data is nested within several folders in the .agilekeychain, the 1Password.agilekeychain itself will not show a change in the 'Modified' date, even when sync is happening properly. So don't be too worried by an older date on your 1Password.agilekeychain file.

Now, let's see if we can't get you sorted out. Resetting sync (as you described) would have been my first suggestion, so I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device
    • Double-check in your Dropbox folder - do you have multiple keychains there?

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• jamesb303
    jamesb303
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like it's working now. Thanks so much!

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.