How do I merge two data files [moved to email]

Options
waterknot
waterknot
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I want to combine two similar, but not the same, data files on a Mac. One is a backed up copy from an older machine that is currently just on a hard drive and the other is on my current mac. If I have access to both files, how do I combine them? In this process I assume there is some way to keep eliminate duplicate entries.

This may be basic, but all the discussions I found pertaining to merging have more to do with syncing across various devices. I just want to combine data once. I do not need to keep these two databases in sync from here on out.

Thanks, Josh

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Josh ( @waterknot ),

We'll need just a bit more information before we can give you instructions to get this sorted out:

• Is the backed up copy in 1Password.agilekeychain format? Or is it a backup file?
    • Is the backup from 1Password 3 or 1Password 4?

I'd also like to ask you to send us a Diagnostics Report:

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file (along with the answers to my above questions) in an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi There

I have both formats: 1Password.agilekeychain and 1Password 2014-02-14 210354 (437 items).agilekeychain_zip.

A bit of background to help clarify. Those two files were from my wife's macbook pro. I copied all her data to an external hard drive before doing a complete wipe and clean install a couple months back. As you can see from the dates this is a project that has been going on for some time. I got busy. At this point I do not remember if her laptop was running 1P 3 or 1P 4. Most likely it was 3. However, I have not reinstalled 1P on her laptop at all since the reinstall and thus have no way to run a diagnostic report about her data file.

If it would help to run a diagnostic report from my 1P 4 set up on my iMac (that has the other data to be combined with the above file) I can do that. Just let me know

Thanks, Josh

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Josh ( @waterknot ),

Thanks for providing that extra detail! I'm glad to hear that you do have the data in 1Password.agilekeychain format, that should make things a bit easier. We might be able to get this done without a Diagnostic Report.

Let's try this:

• Open 1Password and use File > Backup to create a fresh backup of your existing 1Password data. This is a very important step, as we're going to be asking 1Password to merge two databases, and there is a chance that 1Password might not get it perfect. We want to be sure there is a good copy of your original data to go back to if necessary.
    • Copy your wife's 1Password.agilekeychain file from the harddrive to your desktop.
    • If you already have sync set up in 1Password, go to Preferences > Sync and select 'Change Syncing'. Click the option to disable sync, but do not select the option to remove the data from the sync source.
    • When sync is disabled, you will see an option to sync to either Dropbox, iCloud, or Folder Sync.
    • Select 'Folder Sync' and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file on your desktop.
    • 1Password will pop up to warn you that the data in the keychain is different than your existing data file and ask if you would like to merge. Confirm, and enter the Master Password for your wife's keychain.

Once the keychains are merged, you can disable sync to that folder and re-enable the sync that you were previously using, if any. And once you have confirmed that all necessary data has been updated in 1Password, you can remove the 1Password.agilekeychain file from your desktop.

Please note that merging your database may create some conflicts if 1Password is unable to determine which data is more recent. You can easily sort through these by creating a Smart Folder with the criteria conflict fields are present.

This should get you all sorted out! If you run into any snags, please let me know. :)

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

You Rock! Thanks.
    Our data files are now one and it looks good. I just set up Dropbox sync using this new datafile and it was successful between my iMac and my iPhone.

Now I would like to use this same datafile/dropbox folder to sync with 1Password on my wife's new iMac. She has her own dropbox account. Can we share the 1Password folder I have in my dropbox account to make this happen? Is there another or better way to do this? Please advise.

Thanks again, Josh

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Josh ( @waterknot ),

Whoo hoo! I'm so glad to hear that merge worked out for you. Now it's a fairly simple matter to share this keychain with your wife:

• Select the folder that the 1Password.agilekeychain file is in. (By default this will be a 1Password folder).
    • Right-click on the folder and select the "invite to folder" option.
    • Add your wife's email address when prompted.

On your wife's computer:

• Ensure that Dropbox is running
    • Accept the invitation to share the folder in Dropbox and allow Dropbox to fully sync
    • Now, when you open 1Password for the first time, it should detect the keychain in Dropbox and offer to open with that file
    • Simply enter your Master Password, and you're good to go!

Please let me know if you hit any snags in the process, and we'll get it sorted out. :)

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

OK. So everything was going great and now I fear I have really screwed things up.

As I had previously tried to do all this couple of months ago, my wife's drop box account already had a shared 1P folder which I just mistakenly synced her iMac to. When I realized it was not the right keychain, I turned off sync and deleted the old shared 1P file from her dropbox.

I restarted her computer and accepted the invitation to the new shared folder and re-enabled sync and pointed it to this new shared folder (which contains the merged data you helped me with yesterday). All seemed great. But somehow the data in her 1P vault only showed approx 300 items whereas the new merged data file has over 500 items. So I knew somehow her 1P was still not connecting to the right data.

Simple, I thought. So, I moved all her current data to the trash in 1P and then re-synced again. Now she only has 100 items and now I only have 100 items. I guess because we are synced already I have seem to have destroyed the merged database I created yesterday.

I am so sorry. Can you guide me through getting back to the correct merged data set and getting it synced for both of our iMacs. Sorry. I thought I understood, but obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks, josh

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Josh ( @waterknot )

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from both your computer and your wife's?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi There

Just sent two emails (one from my email and one from my wife's) with each of the reports.

Thanks

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

One last note. I still have a back up of my original (pre-merged) data file in 1p4_zip format as well as my wife's original data file in agilekeychain format. So I assume we will need to start with remerging those two...?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @waterknot,

We may not need to start over and re-merge the keychains, there may be a backup of the post-merged data, but the Diagnostic Report will tell us what route is best for you! We've received your Diagnostic Reports - thanks for sending them in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

• waterknot
    waterknot
    Community Member
    Options

thanks.

This discussion has been closed.