Screen dead. Dropbox out of date. What are my options?

Options
da12
da12
Community Member

My iPhone screen is dead. On top of that, it looks like dropbox syncing quietly stopped working some 8 months ago. So I have about 8 months of passwords not saved to dropbox.

If I get a new phone, will the iTunes iphone backup include the 1password database? Or is the only way to backup the 1password database on your iPhone via the manual process via wifi?

If the latter, is there any hope of getting this off the current phone given that the screen doesn't work?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @da12,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your phone - that's certainly no fun! In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What version of 1Password for iOS are you using? To find out which versions you have, let me know which icon you see on your home screen from the following image: A, B, C or D?

• Are you running 1Password on any other computers or devices?
    • If so, what are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers that are currently using 1Password?
  • da12
    da12
    Community Member
    Options

It was either A or B (again, the screen is broken, so I can't tell at the moment for sure).

• da12
    da12
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, wait...I can see the icon in iTunes. It's 1PasswordPro with the 'B' icon (but with 'pro' on it)

• da12
    da12
    Community Member
    Options

(I'm running ios7 if that helps)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @da12,

First of all, I'd just like to explain the issue with Dropbox sync. Dropbox made a change to their API back in September of 2013. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/, but the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December 2012, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. Unfortunately, because we removed 1Password 3 for iOS from the App Store when we introduced 1Password 4 for iOS to avoid confusing customers, there was no way for us to update the app to account for the change to Dropbox's API when it happened.

We did our best to notify users with pop-ups in the 1Password iOS app, as well as via our newsletter and blog, so I sincerely apologize that you missed the message.

In any case, we should be able to use an iTunes backup to get your 1Password data onto a new phone. This data will need to be restored into 1Password 3 for iOS. Once all is well though, I definitely recommend that you look into 1Password 4 for iOS, which has a lot of great new features and multiple options to keep you all synced up!

To restore your data from an iTunes backup, please follow the instructions here. If you have any questions or hit any snags, just let us know, we'd be happy to walk you through!

• da12
    da12
    Community Member
    Options

Megan: Thank you. That last link in your post appears to indicate that all is not lost and that once I get the new phone, I should be able to recover. Whew! I'll definitely upgrade to 4 as well!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @da12,

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the restore goes well for you! We're here if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.