How to REQUIRE Shared Vault PW for Access?

Options
oregonpete
oregonpete
Community Member

I finally got around to setting up a Shared Vault for me and my wife. Piece of cake, and works just fine. However, one feature I didn't expect is that we each automatically get access to the Shared Vault just by logging in to our respective Primary Vaults. This may be convenient, but seems to me to weaken the security of the shared vault. I would prefer that 1PW require the Shared Vault's PW be entered when switching to it from within the Primary Vault. Any way to do this?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @oregonpete‌

1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

However, you still can unlock a secondary vault on its own. In the main app, use 1Password > Switch Vault menu. (In the 1Password mini, click on the lock image on the lock screen to select the secondary vault.) Please note that when you unlock the secondary vault alone, all other vaults will remain locked. You won't be able to copy items between vaults, and you will need to enter your Master Password to view another vault.

• oregonpete
    oregonpete
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your prompt reply, Megan

It is nice to know that you can't get to the Primary Vaults by opening the secondary. That's a good security feature, but I'd still like to have the option of always requiring a secondary vault PW. Just add it to your (probably very long) list of user feature requests.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @oregonpete,

I'm glad that my explanation helped! I'd be happy to pass your request along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.