1Password4 extension not installing on Safari 6.1.2

Options
Harper1
Harper1
Community Member

A new user, I just installed 1Password4 on IMac and Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and repeatedly tried to download extension to Safari 6.1.2 using "big green button" method as well as other urls. In each instance, screen momentarly flashes that it's downloading, and then screen turns to black. Download log shows no such extension downloaded. Advice?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Harper1,

Could you please try installing the Safari extension using this direct link: https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.2.1.safariextz

Please let me know if that works. :)

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick reply. No, unfortunately, the new link produces the same result: a black screen.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Harper1,

I'm sorry the direct download that @JasperP suggested didn't work for you. Do you get the same result if you try installing some other Safari extension? You can pick one from here to test with:

Apple - Safari - Safari Extensions Gallery

And do you currently have any other extensions installed?

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

I followed your suggestion and easily installed another extension. (I've had two others installed for some time, and they work flawlessly.) Thoughts?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for testing that, @Harper1.

Can you restart Safari, then retry downloading the extension, and see if that works? If not, do you have another web browser installed that you can try downloading with?

And if you're still stuck after that please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

I restarted Safari, but extension install still wouldn't work. I noticed that update for Safari to 6.1.4 was available and made the update. Restarted. Install of 1Password extension still wouldn't work. I then tried installing with Firefox 28 and it immediately and flawlessly installed 1password 4.2.1. However, given that Safari is my browser of choice, should I go ahead and send the Diagnostics Report, etc. to agile bits? (Whoops! I just tried your link for the Report Generator and IT returned a black page as well. Now what?)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Harper1,

Sorry that getting the 1Password extension for Safari downloaded/installed has turned out to be this troublesome for you. Did you try downloading it with Firefox (using the direct link @JasperP posted earlier), then opening it with Safari? And even if you've already restarted your Mac since the problem started, please do that again now that Safari has been updated and see if that helps. I'll check with my colleagues for other suggestions in case it's still a no-go.

And are you really seeing a black page/screen, not a blank (empty) one?

Thanks!

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for sticking with me on this. As I mentioned in my last post, I successfully installed the extension without trouble on Firefox 28. I tried with Safari again after restarting. No good. I've restarted twice since updating Safari. No luck. I dragged the extensions folder out of the Safari library to the desktop, rebooted Safari, but again, it would not install. I've also repaired permissions, verified permissions, and so on. Finally, I get a black page, not a blank one.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again, @Harper1. :)

I was wondering if you'd tried using Firefox to download the 1Password extension for Safari. Also, about this:

(Whoops! I just tried your link for the Report Generator and IT returned a black page as well.

Did that happen during downloading with Safari? Maybe you can download it with Firefox instead? I also just stuck a copy here on Dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28842102/AgileBits/1Password4Troubleshooting.zip

If convenient, can you take a screenshot of the black page you've been seeing and post that image?

Thanks for all your help and patience with getting this peculiar problem resolved!

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have successfully downloaded the 1password extension on Firefox 28. (See two posts above) I have just downloaded the Report Generator also using Firefox. I have attached a screen shot of what I get when I try and download the extension and/or Report Generator using Safari.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks for the image, @Harper1.

It looks like there could be some legacy download plugin interfering with Safari. Can you check your Internet Plugin folders and see if you have anything related to a downloader app installed there. If so, please remove it and that should fix the issue with black pages in Safari.

If you can't find that, try right-clicking this link in Safari and selecting Download Linked File from the context menu:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.2.1.safariextz

If it downloads okay, double-click that 1Password-4.2.1.safariextz file to install the extension.

Still not working? Please open this page with Safari and let me know if you get the same black page result:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/jasper/form_filling_example.html

Yes, I have successfully downloaded the 1password extension on Firefox 28.

Have you successfully downloaded the 1Password Safari extension using Firefox? If so, double-clicking the file should install it with Safari.

I hope that'll work for you. :)

• Harper1
    Harper1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm impressed that you folks continued to wrestle with my problem, even though it's a Sunday. While I couldn't find a plug in of the sort you described, your second suggestion (downloading a linked file and double clicking it if it downloaded successfully) worked just fine. Problem solved. No black page, and extension installed successfully. Thanks again for sticking with me during a long day.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hooray, @Harper1! Always a pleasure to help, any day of the week. :)

I'm so glad you've finally got the extension installed in Safari after struggles with stubborn downloading.

I see you've also sent email, which included the image and a Diagnostics Report, and think I've spotted the culprit behind the "black page" issue. I'll follow up with you more about it directly in email and close this discussion now. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.