Why/How did PIN code option get disabled?

Options
Paco II
Paco II
Community Member

Started using the app this morning and was surprised to be asked for my full password. Checked settings and sure enough the PIN code option was disabled. I most definitely did not disable it. Running 4.5.2. A bit disconcerting. Hopefully a simple bug?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

In 1Password 4.5, we made some changes to the PIN code (what used to be called the Quick Unlock Code). Because these changes involve the option to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, the PIN was disabled by default and needs to be enabled by the user.

If you have enabled the PIN code since 1Password 4.5, I'm not quite sure what the issue would be. I haven't heard of this happening before, so hopefully it's just a one time issue. But please let us know if you continue to have trouble with this.

• Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jasper, it's definitely not what you describe since I've been running 4.5 since it came out. Sounds like some combination of events caused it to get disabled. Probably not a huge bug. But keep an eye out for it.

• Jasper
    Options

Please do keep an eye on it, and let us know if you run into any further trouble.

• michaelk842
    michaelk842
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry if I'm missing something in the instructions. If I enable a PIN code, how does the behavior differ depending on whether or not I enable storing the Master Password in the iOS keychain?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael842,

The newly designed PIN code in 1Password 4 for iOS will provide users with a more consistent experience.

In earlier versions of 1Password 4 for iOS, the lock settings were dependent on 1Password remaining open in the background. When the iOS would quit the app to reclaim memory resources, users would be prompted for their Master Password upon re-opening, regardless what their auto-lock settings were.

By providing the option to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, we are able to respect users' PIN code settings, even if the iOS closes 1Password in the background.

To ensure that users are aware of this new behavior, the PIN code is not automatically enabled for users who have migrated from an earlier version and will need to be manually enabled.

Please note that we recommend only using this feature only if you have enabled a device passcode on iOS.

As a security feature, if you mistype the PIN code once it will clear the iOS keychain and require the Master Password to be typed to access your database.

If you do not wish to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, you can disable 'use the iOS keychain' in Settings > Advanced. This will allow you to access 1Password using the PIN code until the iOS closes the app in the background, after which point your Master Password will again be required.

I hope this helps to explain the difference in behaviour between the previous PIN and the shiny new PIN. But if you still have questions ... you know where to find us! :)

• MamasPajamas
    MamasPajamas
    Community Member
    Options

I am running version 4.5.3 on my iPhone and iPad. Yesterday, I set up a PIN for the first time. Every single time I exit the app, it requires my master password to get back on. I do not want my master password stored on the IOS keychain so I turned that off. What am I doing wrong? It is driving me nuts. When I open the app I simply want to enter my PIN. I see a lot of chat about IOS closing the app in the background but I'm not sure when that happens. I thought it remained running in the background until I actually closed it. Please help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MamasPajamas‌

I apologize for the frustration here. Unfortunately, if you choose to not store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, you will need to enter your Master Password occasionally. This is because iOS occasionally needs to close apps that are running in the background to reclaim memory.

You can leave 1Password "running" in the background indefinitely, but iOS will silently shut down background apps whenever it requires memory for a current task. In situations like this, when you switch back to the app, the iOS will simply open it again, so you don't even notice that it has been closed. How often the iOS shuts down background apps will depend on how much memory your current open apps require.

Storing the Master Password in the iOS keychain allows us to respect your Quick Unlock Code settings, even if the iOS closes the app in the background. It is of course, up to you if you do not want to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain. I can assure you though that this password never leaves your device, and it will be wiped from the iOS keychain's memory in the event that your quick unlock code is entered incorrectly.

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect solution for you here, but I hope this explains why things work the way they do.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• MamasPajamas
    MamasPajamas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but it didn't work. I changed the setting to allow my Master Password to be stored in the IOS keychain. I closed down every app running in the background with the exception of 1Password. However, it didn't matter. The next time I opened 1Password (10 minutes later) it required my Master Password. I have tested it several times since and every single time I do it requires my Master Password. Is anybody else out there having this problem?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MamasPajamas‌

I'm so sorry to hear that this is still giving you trouble. Our developers are currently tracking a bug where the iOS app will occasionally ask for the Master Password, even with the Quick Unlock code enabled. I've seen it a few times myself, and it is rather annoying. The workaround though is to fully quit the app. When you re-open, it will prompt for the Quick Unlock code instead of the Master Password.

I've added a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker so the devs know that you're keen on seeing a fix as soon as possible. For now, please let me know if re-starting the app shows the Quick Unlock code, as it should.

ref: OPI-1121

This discussion has been closed.