Need to find Last Generated Password

Options
dwg77
dwg77
Community Member

I just signed up on the financial page for my daughter's college. To sign in I had to use a one time password generated by them. I was then promoted to change my password to a new one. I did so using the password generator in 1Password 4. I was not asked by 1Password to save this new password as an update as I normal do. Now I need it to log back into the site and don't have that last generated password. I know that in 1 Password 3 it had an option to show the last generated password even if you didn't use it. Can you tell me how to now find the last password generated by 1 Password4? Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The best place to look is in your Passwords category. That contains passwords which are not linked to a specifically saved login item—which sounds as though it might be what happened in your case.

Stephen

• dwg77
    dwg77
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.
    I did finally find it after a lot of searching.
    I have to say that I did like the button (option) in 1 Password 3 that showed the last generated password.

David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi David ( @dwg77 ),

Thanks so much for the feedback here - I do apologize that the password was a bit tricky for you to track down.

I've got a quick tip that could make your life easier next time: When you generate a password and use the 'Fill' button to fill it in on the web from, by default this password will also be copied to your clipboard so that you can easily paste it into your 1Password entry if 1Password does not ask you to save a new Login. (You can confirm that this setting is enabled by clicking the arrow button next to the 'Fill' button. 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling' should be checked.)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• dogger
    dogger
    Community Member
    Options

I have just had a misadventure like dwg77, but worse because I haven't found the last password (perhaps it was not saved on 1Password because I have used cut and paste). So I don't know how to enter again and the bank asks me 13€ for a password reset (it is not a joke, they are thieves).
    I like 1Password, but I have to pay more attention when I use it, password generation is very useful but dangerous too.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dogger,

When using the Password Generator in 1Password mini or the extension, if you manually highlight and copy the generated password, that won't save it anywhere in 1Password. You will need to either click the Fill button, or click the drop down arrow next to it and choose Copy. When you do that, it will create a new item under the Passwords category in 1Password, where you can find it if necessary.

I'm sorry to hear your bank charges you money to reset the password! Perhaps if you contact them to explain the situation, they can help without charging a fee?

This discussion has been closed.