Property Loss Report

Options
bistrojack
bistrojack
Community Member

Hello All,

Cue the violins. Burglars hit the house last week and took every electronic device. (Macbook Pro, iPad, iPod, digital camera, speakers...) The only thing that survived was the Time Capsule (it was atop the refrigerator!) and the cloud backups for 1Password. (iCloud, Dropbox, etc.)

In the past, there have been discussions about adding hardware serial numbers. Yes, it is possible in notes, but it would be simpler if there was one format with indicated fields. Then when things go wrong, it's relatively simple to transfer the data to the police form. (Maybe in the 22nd century there will be an automated feed!)

For example, this is the requirement for a major US police department, and will be used to claim loss from the insurance company.

1. The property type code menu, running from Auto Accessory/Parts to TV/Video/VCR
  2. Quantity
  3. Name / Brand
  4. Model Name / Model Number
  5. Serial Number
  6. Owner Applied Number (like an engraved Driver's License No.)
  7. Description... Color, Dimension, etc.
  8. Value
  9. Additional Information

Surprisingly, the police doesn't ask for the purchase date -- but it may be worthwhile to have.

Scanned PDFs of receipts and bar codes may help.

Will this stolen equipment every show up? Unlikely, but the more data entered into the PDs' property loss systems. the greater the chance of a recovery and possibly (that would be a shock) of a prosecution.

Thank you. EM

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi EM ( @bistrojack‌ )

No violins here, but sending some serious sympathy your way - having your home burglarized is horrible!

I'd be happy to pass along your request to our developers. We hear a lot of requests for alternate categories (as you have noted), and we're looking into how to make categories even more useful for all users. Your feedback here is much appreciated.

And I wish you the best of luck - I hope that your property will be recovered, or at the very least, that your insurance company will be swift and merciful! :)

internal reference number: OPM-1643

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I'd like to second this. Major oversight in 1Password. If you need a good list of categories, check out the defunct Wallet.

PS. @bistrojack‌. I too am very sorry to hear about your predicament. Good speed with recovering from this.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @onecantra. Your seconding of this has been accounted for, :)

I so sorry for your loss, @bistrojack, and sure hope it all works out for the best possible in your favor!

This discussion has been closed.