Migrating Old 1Password Installation on Iphone 4 to Android Device

Options
Wiggly
Wiggly
Community Member

Guys, I've tried a bunch of stuff to migrate from my iPhone 4 but it seems I'm dead. I've got an old installation of iPassword (Version 3.6.2 December 2011) which worked just dandy. But I've purchased a new Samsung Note 3 and need to move the few hundred passwords over. It's been very frustrating.

• I purchased and installed 1Password on the new android device. I can sync this to dropbox just fine.
  • I tried creating a backup of the file and copying it to my PC (new android does not recognize the file)
  • Spent many hours trying to set up sync from the iPhone to dropbox before finally finding the forum where it's mentioned that this no longer works for the version 3.
  • Purchased the one for my PC. Again, no good. It can't look onto the connected device and sync. You have to have a sense of humor when you ask it to load from a backup but the PC does not recognize the backup file created from the iPhone. (closer scrutiny of the iPhone backup creator does tell you that it only restores to another iPhone - so no good there)
  • Old version doesn't sync with iCloud.
  • I don't use macs anywhere in the house or at work so the local network sync is not an option.
  • I purchased your 1Password Manager (which I assume is what the forums refer to as "4") off itunes even though I was buying it just so I could finally throw out the phone I was installing on (again, a sense of humor required). On startup it doesn't check for a current installation of 1Password to pull the info in or convert - and none of the other options like iCloud or dropbox sync can work.

Soo... I'm a few dollars poorer, a lot of time frittering, an hour or so on the forums, and feel no closer to a solution to this issue.

Can you send some simple instructions for me to follow and get this thing moved? I must be missing something.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds like you've been having a crappy time of it :-(

If the iOS app you purchased was called 1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet and the icon looks like the icon used for these forums then I'd say you have indeed purchased 1Password 4 for iOS. Given your situation I suspect it's your best route to getting your data off of your old iPhone. Do you still have both versions of 1Password on the iPhone and does opening up the old one still show you your data? (it should). If that's the case try deleting the new version and re-downloading it as I believe it's meant to see that 1Password v3 is there and ask if you want to import but I believe it also only does this once. I found this thread, I don't know if it's of any use or not.

Unfortunately I believe there is no easy way to sync 1Password v3 iOS with another device as you've already learnt. Given you now have 1Password for Windows, what might be worth doing is using the phone as a companion device and having the PC act as the main repository, that way in the future changes to devices shouldn't have you reaching for the aspirin.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Wiggly,

I'm sincerely sorry for the trouble you've been having getting your data from 1Password 3 for iOS into your new Android device. We've done our best with 1Password 4 to normalize the backup file format to make this process easier in the future ... but I know that's not a whole lot of good to you now.

Please do let me know if the thread that @littlebobbytables‌ linked to helps - it's a pretty comprehensive rundown of the steps to take to get your data from version 3 into version 4. If you hit any snags, I'd be happy to walk you through!

This discussion has been closed.