Options
2»

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boomer49,

This is the first I've heard of a Master Password change not being synced when using Wi-Fi Sync.

Since you had to unlock 1Password on your iPad using the old MP before manually initiating Wi-Fi sync, the next and subsequent unlocking on your iPad should have worked using the new MP.

Thank you for this report, which I've added to our bug tracker.

ref: CSI-5

• JoelAndoetoe
    JoelAndoetoe
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I read through all of the posts in this topic, and I have the same issue but with a twist. I am a new user, and it took me a while to find a master password that is both complex yet easy to remember AND type on a phone. Two days ago, I changed my master password on OSX, and it works fine there. On my Android (4.4.2) app however, neither the old master password nor the new one work, leaving it inaccessible. I sync via Dropbox, and I have seen my phone's 1Password app sync several times AFTER I changed the master password - I was logged in to the app with a passcode.

Update: I changed the master password on OSX again, cleared all data from the app on my phone, and behold, the new master password worked on the app. I think we're all sufficiently aware that there is a serious sync issue here, so I won't repeat that. Oops, I just did.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoelAndoetoe‌

Thanks so much for sharing your experience here! Our developers have heard of this issue with the Master Password not syncing, and we are currently investigating where things are getting tangled up.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out by clearing the data from your phone - that's just what I was going to suggest!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here to help. ;)

• iftekhar25
    iftekhar25
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys!

Just a quick note: I have come across this issue of the Master Password not syncing from my iMac to my iPhone and iPad. I can confirm that passwords were themselves being synced, but the Master Password just wasn't.

I did a WiFi Sync, since that seemed like a reasonable workaround. Everything works fine now. This thread was helpful to confirm that it's an actual problem, and that WiFi Sync is a reasonable workaround.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iftekhar25‌

Thanks for sharing your workaround here! I'm glad you found something that helps. :)

• FromDenmark
    FromDenmark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the suggestions here. For several months I had different master-passwords on the my Mac devices and the iPhone and and iPad. I always had the feeling that the supposedly synched passwords was not in such, and got it confirmed when checking on two computers, the number of saved passwords was not the same. Reset the synching method to use iCloud on all devices, and today I did change the masterpasswords on the i-devices, and it seems to work now and they are synching. Thanks for the advice.

• FromDenmark
    FromDenmark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it might be a big help in checking for correct synching is the accounting for number of items in each category was the same on the iPhone and iPad as on the computer. Today on my iPhone 1Passwords show number of items in each category - e.g. Logins, Secure notes, etc, while on my iMac there is only one number for "All items".

• Hi @FromDenmark,

That's super great to hear, I'm glad it worked for your iCloud sync.

while on my iMac there is only one number for "All items".

That's because on the Mac, the item counts are hidden by default except for the All Items and Trash. You can change this by going to the View Menu > Show Item Counts, which will then show the individual item counts for each category like in 1Password for iOS.

• Suzhouman
    Suzhouman
    Community Member
    Options

Like many others, I have also not been able to get my Master Password in sync between my MacBook Air, iPad Mini and iPone 6 and the only work around that worked for me was to DELETE the 1Password app from my iPad and iPhone and then reinstall AFTER i changed my Master Password on my MacBook. I really like 1Password BUT the issue of not being able to update a change in the Master Password automatically is a serious flaw and I hope Agile Bits fix this in the very near future.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Suzhouman‌ It is something being actively worked on so hopefully we'll see the end of this bothersome bug soon :smile:

• Pyby
    Pyby
    Community Member
    Options

2 months and a half later the last most, can you test us what happen?

I'm really disappointed to discover this "bug" today.
    I'm using the latest 1Password versions on iPhone, iPad and 2 MacBook Air.

I'm syncing the master vault with Dropbox.
    I've only one Mac with 2 vaults (master and a other from a ex-colleague, not syncing).

Is the Master Password protecting the master vault? Or just the 1Password application?

I didn't really understand if there are differences keys/ password for 2 or more vaults, in the same 1Password application?

Sorry, but I think it a big issue !

• Hi @Pyby,

If you're running 1Password for Mac 5.1 and 1Password for iOS 5.2, things should be much much better in the Master Password syncing arena. We put a lot of work into that to make it significantly better. I'm not aware of any cases where it no longer works, with the caveat that except for iCloud sync, you'll need to unlock using your old MP on iOS once to allow sync to happen so that it can get updated keys, then the new MP will make itself available.

To answer your question about what the Master Password protects... it protects the keys of the vault. Every vault has its encryption keys, and these keys will never change over time. If you're syncing via Dropbox, that agilekeychain is essentially a copy of your vault, except that it has its own keys. And your vault on iOS has its own as well. The Master Password is used to encrypt those keys, and we can't decrypt them to do anything until we're given the Master Password. This is fairly easily understood when you're talking about a local vault without syncing. But when you introduce syncing it becomes a little harder as there's this chain of events that needs to happen. When you change your Master Password locally, we update the encrypted keys of your local vault such that to decrypt them we need the new Master Password. Easy enough. But then we also need to do the same to that agilekeychain vault in dropbox. So we update those. The Master Password itself was never stored in the agilekeychain. All that was updated was the encrypted form of the keys.

Syncing of Master Passwords is a matter of getting the updated encrypted keys within the agilekeychain (which can only be done by first unlocking using the old Master Password), then having the user enter in the new Master Password so that we can validate it against the encrypted keys we have in the agilekeychain.

The password protects the keys. The keys protect the items.

I hope this explains things. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• Pyby
    Pyby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your details.
    I've some knowledges about syncing keys between devices.

I just test again a Master Password changed and the replication via Dropbox.
    I've 1Password for Mac 5.1 and 1Password for iOS 5.2.

I realized that was an asynchronous Dropbox synchronization. The Mac client didn't get instantly Dropbox updates.
    On my iPhone, you tell in settings that the sync is finished. But on Dropbox webpage, I've to wait some seconds (or more) before seeing .keys files updated, and few more seconds / minutes to have its on my Mac or on my iPad with your application.

Thanks for your time. Maybe, a better UI could say that the new encrypted key is synced on DropBox / iCloud, please be sure to synchronize on other devices.

• Hi @Pyby,

Yeah, the UI around this could be clearer. It's always a struggle for us to try to determine how much of the complexity to hide from the user. We'll try to do better.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.