Vaults

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I have iP on my mac and all devices and I really like it. I am, however, confused about Vaults. What is the intent behind vaults and how would they be used?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

By default, you only have a single primary vault. This is the way 1Password operated for many years. Recently we added the ability to create multiple vaults to help folks better organize their data. Since you can share each vault separately, folks have been sharing vaults with their spouses and teammates at work while maintaining separate personal vaults.

The possibilities are endless, though. It is up to you how you want to use them (or if you want to just stick to one vault). :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks. Since I am the keeper of the 'info' in my family, not sure I have a use for them, unless I created a vault for every family member, which would seem to be more effort than is worthy. But it is nice to know what they are in cae my needs change.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sounds like you got it exactly right. If you end up using them in the future and have and additional questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

Cheers!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'd say one of the big draws of multiple vaults is the fact you can then share and synchronise subsections of your data but maybe you just feel your primary vault is getting a bit messy and there's a nice logical divide that can be made e.g. you're self-employed so you have personal and work.

Now syncing secondary vaults is only possible via Dropbox or local file sync (which in itself then requires another sync method) so something to watch out for. You can't sync secondary ones via iCloud or WiFi as of yet.

I love the idea of having my work/customer stuff separate but can't do so as I only WiFi sync to my iPhone where it's very handy to have all this information.

This discussion has been closed.