Syncing Options

Options
rrnowell
rrnowell
Community Member

I have 1Password on several Macs, but they don't all run the same OS so they don't all use the same version of 1Password. It would be helpful if all the sync methods were available the version of 1Password supporting Snow leopard through Mavericks.

It would also be nice to have multiple layers of synchronization... iCloud AND WiFi AND DropBox AND Folder for example. Thus if any of the sync destinations is unavailable one can use the others until it comes back and is updated.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rrnowell‌

To keep 1Password 3 for Mac in sync with 1Password 4 for Mac, you'll want to use Dropbox. Folder Sync might also be an option for you, provided that you do not use 1Password on your mobile devices.

Unfortunately, the other methods you mention will not fit your needs. iCloud sync was not available to developers until we built 1Password 4, so it can only be used to sync 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS. As far as Wi-Fi sync goes, we heard a lot from users who were looking for a better Wi-Fi experience than 1Password 3 offered, so that sync process was completely re-written for version 4. We hope that it has been made more user-friendly, and more secure. The downside of the re-write is that Wi-Fi sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Mac is not possible.

As much as we would like to go back to 1Password 3 and enable cool new features like iCloud sync, or update the Wi-Fi sync, we are a small company, and our development resources are limited.

It would also be nice to have multiple layers of synchronization... iCloud AND WiFi AND DropBox AND Folder for example. Thus if any of the sync destinations is unavailable one can use the others until it comes back and is updated.

When 1Password 4 for iOS was initially launched, we had hoped that users would be able to do just that - enable multiple sync solutions at a time. However, in practice, it ended up causing more troubles than it solved. In the end it was decided that it was best if users picked the sync solution that best met their needs and used only that. We do our best to provide a variety of options for a variety of needs, and we're always exploring new solutions to make syncing even easier for users.

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but please do let me know if you have any further questions - we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.