Master Password won’t work on Trial Installation

Options
FondaPhoto
FondaPhoto
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I recently installed 1Password4 for Mac on my iMac (2.93ghz Intel Core I7) running OS X 10.8.5, entered passwords for a few sites, and closed the program. I wrote down the master password where I keep all of my other passwords. Now, when I come back to it a few days later, my master password doesn’t work. I tried every variation I could think of, in case I wrote it down wrong; no luck. I checked through the Knowledgebase and the User Forum and have come to the conclusion that my only choice is to create a new vault, but the ‘New Vault’ item under the 1Password4 menu is greyed-out (as are the ‘New Demo Vault’ and ‘Delete Vault’ items). I found a couple of questions on the Forum speaking of the greyed-out ‘New Vault’ item, but neither of them actually gave an answer. After more searching through the Forum I found that the vault should reside in the ‘Library’, but there’s no sign of it there. I’m at a dead end.

I’m not having a very good experience with the program so far, to say the least. Any suggestions? Reinstall the program?

Thanks.

Comments

• samtheboo
    samtheboo
    Community Member
    Options

You might want to try using the password 'demo' if you are using the demo vault. If not, screenshots please.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @FondaPhoto,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting into 1Password! Since you're pretty sure you know what the master password is, but it is not being accepted, please try some of these tips.

• If you have accent character such as è, î and so on, try replacing them with the regular character such as e for è and see if that’ll get you in.
    • Try leaving the caps lock on and/or off. You can also try visibly entering your master password into a text editor. Make sure it’s an editor that doesn’t sync to the cloud automatically; you wouldn’t want to expose your password in clear view(!) Copy the password and then paste into the master password field in 1Password.
    • If you entered the password hint for this data file, 1Password will show it automatically in a prompt after every three incorrect attempts. Confirm it’s the right hint that you entered because if not, you may be looking at a different data file.

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If these do not help and you don't have any valuable information in 1Password you can start over. And when entering a new master password don't use any special, non-ASCII characters. Also make sure to provide a good "password hint" that can later help jog your memory. :)

I hope this helps. If you are still having trouble please let us know and we'll investigate further.

• FondaPhoto
    FondaPhoto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help, @samtheboo. I had to start again from scratch, but the ‘Starting Over’ page walked me right through it. Ready to go... now comes the fun data entry part!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FondaPhoto‌

I'm so glad to hear that starting over got things behaving properly for you! I'm sure you're already aware of our browser extensions, but I just want to be sure that you have them installed and ready to go, as it will make the "fun data entry" part a lot less painful!

Simply log into sites as you normally would. When 1Password detects new data being entered, it will pop up and offer to save a new Login for you. (Check in Preferences > Browser to confirm that 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' is selected.) I find this works a lot better than manually entering data into the main app.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.