Ctrl+\ not working using Wine

RichardPayne
RichardPayne
Community Member

re: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/134505/#Comment_134505

I've just started experimenting with Linux (first time I've managed to successfully install it with no hardware driver issues. Yay Linux Mint!)

I noticed @khad‌'s post that browser extensions could be made to work so I now have 1Password for Windows running under Wine. However, I can't seem to get the extension to recognise Ctrl+\. I can right click and select the 1Password option in the menu which then fills as normal. It's just the shortcut that isn't working.
Has anyone else running 1P in this way seen this problem, and if so, do you have a workaround?

Comments

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

CTRL+\ will not work in Wine. I'm sorry but it's not a bug.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Well, since it's an unsupported config, it's clearly not a bug! :p
    I was hoping for a workaround. ;)

From a technical point of view, why doesn't it work? It's Chrome so I expect the plugin interface to be reasonably common.

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

It's not a chrome issue: only the toolbar button and the context menu are part of the extension.

The CTRL-\ shortcut is a global shortcut intercepted by the 1Password application and Wine won't work with those.

You could use xdotool to send the key sequence to 1Password, put that in a script and bind a shortcut with your desktop environment to execute that script but this is quite advanced and I've never tried it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ah, interesting. I knew that there is a hook to handle Ctrl+\ when not in a browser window but I thought that the browser extensions were picking it up directly from a keypress event handler in the extension api.

I'll have a play with xdotool and see what I can get working.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

For anyone interested, setup a global hotkey for Ctrl+\ to run a script containing the following:

xdotool search --name "1Password Agent" keydown Control_L+backslash

This works in the browser (only tested on Chrome) but I can't seem to get it to work anywhere else.

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

I'm surprised it works at all... I thought WINE didn't allowed Windows apps to query running applications. Thanks for sharing !

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This is really good to know. Thanks indeed, @RichardPayne‌!

• andrelop
    andrelop
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

@RichardPayne,

Is Ctrl+\ still working for you ? I have 1Password working under Chrome for Linux, using wine, and it works fine.
    The only exception is the Ctrl+\ shortcut not working. I tried the xdotool trick but it never worked for me.

Is there any other trick needed ?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@andrelop it's really hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've given up on it in all honesty.

This discussion has been closed.