Cannot move data to new machine

Options
OogieM
OogieM
Community Member

I'm in a similar boat as a previous question in that I have a new mac and an old mac and the old mac is running 4 and has the current password. New mac has 4 as well but somehow managed to pick up my years out of date old passwords from an old rev 3 installation and I cannot restore from the backup I made on the old mac.

I do not have and will not use dropbox and all the solutions show that as the only option.

How do I move my data from the old machine to the new one?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OogieM‌

To move your data from your old Mac onto your new Mac please try this:

**On the old Mac: **

• Go to Preferences > Sync and select 'Folder Sync'
    • Select your desktop as the location (this will create a copy of your 1Password database and store it on your desktop)
    • Copy the file (1Password.agilekeychain) onto a USB drive
    • (You may disable Folder Sync once you have the data copied onto the USB drive and delete the copy from your desktop.)

On the new Mac:

• Plug in the USB drive, and move the 1Password.agilekeychain file to your desktop
    • If the information stored on this new Mac is all old, we can simply start fresh. Follow the Starting Over instructions to get 1Password back to a new user state.
    • On the new user screen, 1Password should detect your keychain file automatically
    • If it does not, you have the option of finding the keychain manually
    • 1Password will prompt for your Master Password and unlock your datafile
    • You can then go to Preferences > Sync and disable Folder Sync and delete the copy from your desktop. (In 1Password 4 your data is always stored in a default location within the Library. All data in a sync location is merely a copy.)

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but if you hit any snags in the process, please let me know and we'll get it straightened out!

This discussion has been closed.