Can't change input language while entering password

Options
AndyK
AndyK
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I cannot change input language neither from keyboard nor from status bar above while entering password in 1Password for Mac. The language stays at US English. At the same time all works fine in 1Password for Windows and for iOS.

It is a bug or I've just set something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @AndyK!

Switching input sources during Master Password entry in the main 1Password application or mini works for me with 10.9.4, even though secure input mode is active. Which versions of 1Password and OS X are you running, and which input sources (languages) are you trying to switch from/to? Do you currently have to switch before opening the 1Password app or mini when it's locked? And can you switch when its unlocked?

• AndyK
    AndyK
    Community Member
    Options

I use Mac OS 10.9.4 and 1Password for Mac 4.4.1 (441008). Default language in Mac OS is US English and additional language is Russian.

Neither 1Password app nor mini allow to switch languages while asking Master password.
    And if I switch to Russian language before opening 1Password then input language is automatically switch itself to English.
    The only way to enter my password is pasting it from clipboard.

After 1Password is unlocked I can switch languages any time.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that information, @AndyK.

I'm now able to reproduce the issue here; Russian (among other languages) can't be selected as an input source during Master Password entry. And it'll switch from Russian to English whenever 1Password is locked. When you created your Master Password was Russian your selected input source?

Seems like there may be a bug here. Thanks for helping us better isolate it!

• AndyK
    AndyK
    Community Member
    Options

I have created Master Password in 1Password for Windows. It works fine in Windows and iOS.

Thank you for a wonderful program!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @AndyK. :)

Does this basically describe the situation with your Master Password?

• Created a Master Password (MP) in Russian language using 1Password for Windows.
    • MP change was synced with 1Password for iOS and Mac.
    • MP can be entered in Russian to unlock 1Password for iOS.
    • MP can not be entered directly in Russian to unlock 1Password for Mac; requires copy/paste workaround.

I want the bug report to be clear and accurate for our developers. Thanks again for helping with this!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I may be misreading @AndyK, but I thought he is trying to change keyboards mid-entry so as to have a master password that includes both Roman and Cyrillic characters.

Even if that is not what @AndyK was asking, it is an interesting question, no?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's certainly possible, @benfdc. But it doesn't seem to matter whether it's mid-entry or not for the purposes of filing this issue. :)

The inability to switch input sources appears to be a limitation of OS X in certain cases when secure input is enabled.

• AndyK
    AndyK
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, sjk, this is a correct description. Syncing is done via Dropbox. Password contains both Russian and non-Russian symbols,

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this seems to be OS-related.

I experienced a similar thing this evening: I normally use my custom keyboard layout and I tried to enter the system password to unlock a preference panel. After several failed attempts I noticed that the flag in the menu bar showed one of the standard keyboard layouts (which I hadn’t used for quite a while). I could switch between the installed standard keyboard layouts but it didn’t let me switch to my custom layout for the password entry. After the password entry it auto-switched back to my custom layout.
    This is reproducible since then.

The strange thing: This happened on my both Macs at around the same time and I can’t remember that I had any similar password entry issues before.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that description, @AndyK.

And thanks for your report of this problem, too, @mot. I've also reproduced it with other applications besides 1Password.

Still doing some further investigation here …

This discussion has been closed.