Login issues with NAB Internet Banking site

Options
13»

Comments

• GregAlex
    GregAlex
    Community Member
    Options

Hey all. My experience might help you track what's going on with 1password - basically I'm having NAB problems but with the Mac's regular iCloud password saving.

You enter the user ID and password on the Mac, it offers to save it, and it saves a DIFFERENT random password. However, enter the user ID and password on the iPhone and it saves the correct password and syncs it to the Mac. The next login on the Mac auto-enters the correct password but on logging in it says "do you want to update with the new password details". If you update, it'll have a wrong password saved, if you don't update the password when prompted it continues to work fine with the correct password.

Very odd, I presume NAB has implemented some password protection that activates on Safari for Mac, but not on others. Perhaps it encrypts the transmitted password in some novel way, and iCloud tries to save the encrypted password instead of the proper - thus the next login it enters the encrypted instead of the proper one, and encrypts that!

Hope it is in some way useful!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's quite interesting, @GregAlex. Thank you for sharing this discovery!

I see the issue with Safari saving the incorrect password in the Apple/iCloud Keychain item on OS X. For instance, here's what ended up there with evenlongerpassword entered in the Password field on the https://ib.nab.com.au/nabib/index.jsp page:

Whoops! :)

Disabling Safari’s password management, normally suggested when setting up its 1Password extension, avoids that.

With it enabled, removing a "broken" NAB item from Keychain Access, then selecting Never for This Website at the Would you like to save this password? prompt after submitting correct NAB login credentials (preferably stored in 1Password) should also help.

1Password for Mac does save the correct (unmodified) NAB password in its Login item. After having a working item/password it might be worthwhile adding ib.nab.com.au to the auto-save exclusion list so it's not accidentally updated:

Anyone having trouble with NAB logins would want to make sure Apple/iCloud Keychain and Safari's password management aren't interfering.

Thanks again for the information!

• StretchGSK
    StretchGSK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Crazy few weeks at work...finally got a chance to test this...

I can confirm that turning OFF auto submit resolves my issue with NAB and it is not logging in fine on both work and home Mac's
    If I change it to "submit when enabled" then the login fails again.
    I am happy to leave it tuned off.

My Dropbox synchronisation is working perfectly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking a work-crazy break to test and report this, StretchGSK. :)

I'm glad to hear that disabling auto-submit is a workaround for the troublesome NAB login. Great that Dropbox syncing is perfectly behaved, too!

Of course we want to get 1Password functioning properly with NAB under all conditions and do appreciate your feedback about what does/doesn't currently work. Thanks again!

ref: OPX-299

• Herman
    Herman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am new to password managers. Decided to buy 1password from the Mac store. However I also have to same issue with NAB login. I read through some of the previous posts which all give different options. I have been logged out by NAB once and try to avoid this happening again. As I am still learning to use the software, I am not that confident in playing around with it. Is there a simple one off solution here that will help. Thanks Herman

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Herman,

I'm sorry to hear that NAB is misbehaving for you. Please try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Find the new entry in 1Password and select 'Edit'
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the entry and change the 'submit' option to 'never'
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

This means that you will need to press the 'Log in' button manually, but this workaround seems to work for most users. I hope it helps you!

• Herman
    Herman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

I could not get that to work. What do you mean with gear icon. I click the key icon (extension) in the top menu bar of Safari. I can see the NAB old login but i'm bot sure what this gear icon is. Or is that the same existing entry (old). If I can't work it out, I may just have to continue enter it manually.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you open 1P mini (⌥⌘\) you will see the gear icon at the end of the search box at the top:

I think you probably see it like that if you click on the browser key icon too but as I don't display that icon in my browser I'm not sure! If you edit a login item you'll see the icon at the end of the password field. You click on it to use the 1P4 password generator.

Stephen

• Herman
    Herman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen

Thank you for that information. And it actually worked this time. It's not easy being a beginner. I do know the basics by now though.
    Thanks again

Herman

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Herman,

I'm glad to hear that @Megan's and @Stephen_C's suggestions helped you get a working NAB login! We all started as beginners and you're already less of one now. :)

If you have other issues or any questions please let us know. We're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.