error after installing latest version of 1password [resolved by removing/reinstalling application]

Options
RunTime_
RunTime_
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I'm a bit scared because I'm worried I lost access to my passwords. :(

After updating, when I try to run the software, I get a message that says

"1Password" is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "1password" and download it again from the App Store.

I've been an avid user of 1password for over a year and have had nothing but success so far. Please help me save my database.

Best Regards,
JP

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you delete 1P4 by simply dragging the app file to trash and then reinstalling from the App Store you will not lose data. Don't use any app cleaner app when deleting 1P4 though: they are inclined to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi JP ( @RunTime_),

Here are some specific steps for removing and reinstalling your damaged 1Password application, which will not touch any of your 1Password data (no throwing out the baby with the bath water, as Stephen says :)):

• Remove the 1Password application (/Applications/1Password.app) using Launchpad.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Run App Store, select the Purchases tab, locate 1Password, and click the INSTALL button to download/install a fresh copy.
    • Reopen 1Password and unlock it.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. But if you're still stuck, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful so we can keep an eye open for it. :)

Thank you!

• RunTime_
    RunTime_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

It works just fine after following SJK's steps. You guys rock!

Regards,
    JP

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @JP ( @RunTime_‌ ),

Happy to hear your damaged 1Password has been successfully "repaired". :)

Now that this issue is nicely resolved I'll close this topic. If anything else comes up that we can help you with please don't hesitate to start a new topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.