Premium woes

Options
gorham
gorham
Community Member

((Kindle Fire HDx)) I'm happy to say I have a very nice installation now with GooglePlay (as a sideload) working well and my 1pwAndroid installed and running. But I still have a problem with the premium and it's more than complex. While I was finding my way, I had first one and then another smartphone and had 1pwAndroid installed. But come to find out I'm not at all a smartphone person and each was, in its turn, stripped down and returned. Thing is, GooglePlay still shows it as installed although both devices show as inactive with no carrier (which is odd because I haven't deactivated it yet). Anyway, the replacement won't be a smartphone so I won't have access to features then. It's obvious one can't purchase apps or features from within using the sideloaded GooglePlay.

I do have a question coming out of this though. If I became a "new" user for this installation (which would suit me because I did want to have only a few passwords available and it looks like the multiple personalities thing is off the table now), what would happen to that data when the premium day arrived and I couldn't ante up for it?

Anyway you did ask for experience reports from Kindle users so there you go.

Meanwhile, I guess I'm off on a hunt for a password manager I can use with my Kindle. The reader just isn't an option now that I've tasted the real thing! Your fault! :-)

Comments

• Hi @gorham‌,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Although our development team has been focused on distribution through Google Play, we do plan to look at the possibility of expanding our offering to include the Amazon Appstore. In the meantime, I would encourage you to continue with our beta program as any official Kindle Fire support will debut in our betas first.

As far as what happens now that the premium trial is over (it ended today), I will do my best to clarify. Starting with our 4.1 update today, every installation comes with 30 days of free use of our premium features. This is so that our users can try the features for themselves and make an informed decision about whether they want to buy. After the 30 days have passed, the app switches to reader mode and the premium features remain locked until a one-time purchase is made. A decision not to purchase does not in any way prevent you from accessing your existing items. It simply prevents you from editing those items or adding new items.

I hope that explanation helps!

Cheers,
    Michael

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Michael and thanks for following up on this. I have (at least) two stumbling blocks to using 1pw. First, thanks to amazon's continuing updating of the Kindle OS, it's no longer possible to root my Fire HDx. I tried the side load method and wouldn't rule it out in future but didn't entirely love it either.

More importantly to me is that when I tried 1pw Reader, I found it wasn't really interactive. I had to get out of whatever login page I was on, go to Reader, copy the password and return to the page. Did I miss some functionality there? That would make a huge difference. I don't add a lot of new data and wouldn't have any problem using the keychain and not being able to add data in the Kindle.

Finally, I can install Reader from amazon's app page but not, obviously, the beta. Is that version of Reader the same as what the expired trial reverts to? I think maybe not since Google Apps isn't involved in the former but asking is better than thinking. I think! ;-)

-G.

• Hi @gorham,

If you don't purchase the premium features (which enable adding/editing), then 1Password 4 goes into a reader mode at the end of the 30 day trial. However, there are numerous improvements that go beyond just the cosmetic, that make this a much better experience than using the old 1Password Reader app. For example, the built-in browser in the new app is more reliable and offers more features than the old app. We're working on additional features that will that will alleviate the need to do the copy/paste dance when using external browsers, but for now that is still required.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Cheers,
    Michael

This discussion has been closed.