1Password extension for Safari doesn't save updated password properly

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I still encounter web sites where I'll update a password via the web site, and 1P won't save the updated password properly. The most recent example involved Disqus (http://disqus.com). When I updated my password (by having 1P generate a new random password), 1P did detect the change, but the popup offered to create a new login instead of updating the login. I was able to click the popup and choose "Update login," but after I did so and clicked "OK", I found that 1P did not actually update the password in my Disqus login item, but rather created a new generated password entry labeled "disqus.com".

Have I provided enough information for you folks to be able to track down this problem? I'm using version 4.4.1 of the MAS 1P app and version 4.2.4 of the Safari extension.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Thanks for the report! I've done some testing, and I'm seeing some odd behaviour here too. I've filed a report in our internal tracker in the hopes that our developers will be able to get 1Password playing nicely.

ref: OPX-574

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with ebags.com.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Now, since I don't have an account with ebags.com it's a bit trickier for me to test the password upgrade page. Could you please save the page source (use File > Save As, and Format: Page Source) for the password change page and send the file to support@agilebits.com. Please include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the file in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

It should be pretty easy for you to open an ebags.com account. :-) Let me know if you are unable to.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Thanks for your help! A report for ebags.com has been filed.

ref: OPX-590

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Some other sites for which password updates aren't saved correctly are:

waze.com
    abebooks.com
    farecompare.com

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Thanks for the report! :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I find that for:

www.citi.com
    citibankonline.com
    www.accountonline.com

(these URLs are all associated with CitiBank credit cards)

1P5 for Mac OS X will only fill in the password, but not the login, even if I manually save both from these URLs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Citibank has been known to be a particular site. Can you take a look at your Login and let me know if the username is filled in correctly in the webforms details section (towards the bottom of the entry?)

Please note that manually saving a Login from the Citibank site often saves the obscured data for the name instead of the full username.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like this

Is that as it should be?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Well, we've figured out why filling is failing for you, thanks for sending in that screenshot!

The item that you have shown will fill in user***me instead of username. Unless your username actually includes asterisks, we'll need to manually update the username.

Please edit the entry and change "user***me" to "username".

Does this fill any better?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm confused -- I thought that "username" or "user***me" is just a placeholder for the real username which is actually entered in 1P (I'm not silly enough to post my actual user name and password to a web forum). Why would changing the spelling of a placeholder have any influence on how the fill works? (Hint: it doesn't)

Any change in the actual user name at the top of the 1P entry or in the web form details will change the corresponding user name.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

Yes, in this case, I've used 'username' in place of actual data, and I'm glad that you were clever enough to not post personal information in the forums! The point I was trying to illustrate though is that when 1Password saves data for Citibank, part of your actual username might be obscured by asterisks. If you see any asterisks in the entry that you have saved in 1Password, you will need to manually edit the entry so that your proper username is displayed (and filled.)

In any case, I've been unable to reproduce a filling issue with any of the sites that you mention.

Could you please let me know what version of the extension you are using (usually found in the Preferences > Extensions pane of your browser), and which browser?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Extension version 4.2.5 and Safari 8.0. It looks like Citi made some changes, and now I'm only seeing the problem with https://www.accountonline.com.

See snapshot

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus‌

That's strange, I'm still unable to re-create the issue on my end. A few follow-up questions:

• Are you using the same Login, with multiple URLs saved, for the various Citibank sites, or do you have a different Login for each?
    • When is the last time that you tried to manually save a Login for this URL that is still giving you trouble? (If Citibank has recently made changes, another manual save might fix things up for you here too!)
  • odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm using the same 1P entry with several URLs. Manually saving doesn't change anything. So https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do works for you?

Basically, any Citi web form that looks like the snapshot I gave at 10:57am won't be filled properly by 1P

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Yup, works fine here. Again, your personal information should not look like the screenshot you posted earlier, but should display your full username:

demo data shown

Please also confirm that the webforms details display the username and password icons next to the correct fields.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

For me, Megan, online.citibank.com (the URL given in your 1P entry) does not display the login/password dialog that I posted above, but rather this:

and 1P fills that one in correctly for me, too.

But when I start with https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do, I see this dialog which 1P does not fill completely:

The only thing different between my web form details and yours is that my field labels are all in upper case. My guess is that there are dynamic redirects taking place, and some of those lead to login pages that 1P cannot handle.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Can you create a new Login item for the Citi Credit Cards page at https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do in the main 1Password application and see if you can get that one working okay? Sample:

Use your own username and password, of course. :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that worked! It looks like the web form details are different from those stored originally with the Citicards entry.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for creating and testing that new item, @odysseus. Glad it works for you!

It'll probably work on other Citi pages where you have the same login credentials, if you open them first and then fill.

Some sites cooperate better with simpler items saved with the main application that don't have extra web form details in them.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

My guess in this case is that some of the underlying web site code changed after I stored the initial field information.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's quite possible, @odysseus. Certain financial sites tend to adjust login pages/forms in ways that can be a nuisance for customers and 1Password.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I think we still have a problem saving logins with such sites, though.

• Ben
    Options

In most cases manually saving the login will resolve the issue:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

What I meant is that if I were to change the login or password (simply by typing something different), 1P wouldn't notice the change in this case, would it?

• Ben
    Options

It did for me, yes.

This discussion has been closed.