Password lost due to workflow problem? [check Passwords category for Password item w/ lost password]

Options
darkpawUK
darkpawUK
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

Morning. I've just lost a new password and am locked out of a website because of a problem with 1Password's workflow.

• Logged into a website with the correct password.
  • Go to change password.
  • Safari - unhelpfully - pre-populated my existing password with the wrong value (correct value in 1Password but not in iCloud Keychain).
  • I generated a new password with 1Password's generator, and clicked "Fill" to populate the fields.
  • Clicked to save the new password.
  • The website said my existing password was incorrect (because of that Safari error).
  • 1Password's popup appeared asking to update the password. I clicked "Not Now".
  • Changed my password again (using 1P's generator), this time with the correct original password.
  • 1Password did NOT ask me to update my password. The popup didn't appear.

So, I've successfully changed the password on the website to a random selection of characters that I have no way of knowing, and 1Password is storing the old password.

How do I get 1P's popup again?! As it stands, I have to do a "Forgotten Password" on the website so I can reset it, but this is just a massive hassle.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Can you find the correct password by looking in the 1P4 Passwords category?

Stephen

• darkpawUK
    darkpawUK
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhhhhhhh. So that's where it stores them. Thanks!

Still, would be nice for the popup to have appeared, no?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @darkpawUK‌

1Password does it's best to recognize when you are changing a password. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't notice this time. Could you possibly let me know what the site was so we can see if we can improve 1Password's behaviour here?

In addition to what @Stephen_C said about the generated passwords being stored in the Passwords category, they are also copied to the clipboard by default when you click the 'Fill' button. You can confirm that this option is enabled by clicking on the arrow next to the Fill button in 1Password Mini's password generator - 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling' should be checked. The next time 1Password doesn't pop up to ask you to update your Login, all you need to do is find the Login in your database and paste the new password into the appropriate field.

I know it's not a perfect answer, but I hope it helps!

ref: DOCS-202

This discussion has been closed.