1Passwords password Generator

Options
meridius
meridius
Community Member

Hi all, nice to meet you all

I am a new user of the ios and windows 1password software and wanted to ask a couple of questions as I am a learner.

Question 1, The program for the IOS version only has 30 characters to generate the password where's the windows version has 60 characters to generate the password, Why is that ? I just find it strange both programs have different length password generators. you also seem to have more options on the pc version to the ios version for this tool, why is that I would of thought doing a password on the windows would be better than the iso version because of the longer passwords

Question 2, If I generate a password in windows which uses 60 characters will it still save them in the IOS version

Question 3 How good is the password generator in 1password as I have seen people use key generators to get free software instead of paying for it as the software has found a way of making there own keys can this be done for the 1password generators inbuilt password maker or is it best to change a couple of characters when you generate a password. I am just wanting to know if its possible for some hacker to use your own generator to hack passwords ? if you know what I mean

thanks for any help

Comments

• Hi @meridius,

Question 1, The program for the IOS version only has 30 characters to generate the password where's the windows version has 60 characters to generate the password, Why is that ?

I'm actually not sure why there is a difference with this, I'd have to check with the development team. But, a 30 character password is still very secure, so I wouldn't worry about the difference for most things.

Question 2, If I generate a password in windows which uses 60 characters will it still save them in the IOS version

Yes.

Question 3 How good is the password generator in 1password as I have seen people use key generators to get free software instead of paying for it as the software

I can't speak of how other password generators work, but our security expert has a very in-depth explanation of how 1Password's random password generator works here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/23842/

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• meridius
    meridius
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the help

would like to hear from you about the 30 character password gen to the windows 60 character password gen when you get the info

cheers

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @meridius‌

I don't have a perfect answer for you here on why the password generator limits are different between Windows and iOS. Part of the reason may have been related to design considerations: iOS has a limited screen size, and getting a 50-character password displayed cleanly on the small screen is a bit of a challenge.

I do, however, want to draw your attention to another great post by our security guru: How long should my passwords be?. He goes through all the nitty-gritty math involved in password cracking here, but the important takeaway is this:

Put simply, if the world’s fastest computer could check a password as quickly as it can add two numbers, and if you had a billion of those computers all guessing passwords, it would take more than a million times the age of the universe to go through all of the 52²³ possibilities from a 23 character password created with 1Password’s Strong Password Generator. Put even more simply: nothing is going to crack a password generated with our Strong Password Generator this way.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.