Attachment doesn't update right away

Options
phoenixrizing
phoenixrizing
Community Member

I had a membership card created and then decided to upload an attachment to it using a pdf.

To test it out, I opened up the card on my phone and tapped on the attachment. I was prompted to choose an application to view it, so I chose a pdf reader app.

What I got was a jumbled mess. I surmise this has something to do with encrypting the file attachment (which I fully support). So am I missing something?

If it should be decrypted first, shouldn't it ask me where to save it instead of having the potential apps to read it show up beforehand?

So I decided to take a screenshot of the pdf (it was just a one-pager anyway). I removed the attachment view my Windows client and attached the png. I then synced once on my phone and the card was still showing the pdf (I left the card and came back to it to ensure I was giving it a proper chance to update).

I synced again (without making any chnages) and it still showed a pdf attachment instead of the png. So i removed the png using my Windows client, synced, then reattached the png and synced again. Now, I can see the new file. But my gut tells me this shouldn't be expected behavior.

Thoughts?

Comments

• saad
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hey @phoenixrizing. Thank you for sharing your findings with us.

The decrypted version of the attachment is copied to a temporary directory when you open it in a different application. You should be able to view the content of this file correctly. Could you try opening your attachment with a different PDF viewer, like Adobe Reader, and let me know if you're able to view the actual file? This decrypted copy of the attachment is deleted from the temporary directory when you complete viewing it and return back to 1Password. Having an option to save the attachment at the location of choice is a great idea! I'll pass this suggestion on to our team.

Your new attachment file should immediately sync over after you replace it. I am not sure why that wasn't the case and I'll look into this further. Thanks so much!

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks saad.

I made another pdf, included it as an attachment to a new secure note. I synced my phone and tapped the file. I got the same result. It didn't open as a pdf; rather just a bunch of code as though the app (I tried ezPDF Reader and OfficeSuite Pro to view) and it appears as though they were trying to either translate the document or perhaps it wasn't decrypted and displayed what it could.

Are you saying that you're getting different results?

• saad
    Options

Thanks for the update @phoenixrizing. I am using Adobe Reader and I can view the content of the pdf file by tapping on the item and then opening the attachment from within 1Password. Could you try downloading and attaching this sample pdf file to one of your items and then sync 1Password? Let me know if you're able to view the content of this file.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

saad,

I followed your recommendation and happy to report that this file was indeed readable. I tried it with the newly installed Adobe Reader and the ezPDF reader I tried originally and both worked fine. So it was either a fluke or the recent upgrade to the app.

Thanks for following through on this.

• saad
    Options

Thank you for confirming the sample PDFs work on your device. Are you able to open your personal PDF files now too?

This discussion has been closed.