Do iOS and Mac licenses require separate purchases?

halchess
halchess
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Lounge

I have 2 iPhones, an iPad, a MacBookPro, and an iMac. I just purchased 1Password 4 for iOS yesterday. Now I'm thinking I need the Mac version also. Am I correct? Or, will the iOS handle them all when I sync everything? This type of app is new to me so it's a learning experience.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Yes, if you want to sync easily between Mac and iDevices you do need the OS X version, which is a separate purchase. I believe it's on offer at the moment so you may want to look quickly. You can buy it either on the Mac App Store or direct from AgileBits.

By the way, I don't work for AgileBits but am just a user!

Stephen

• Hi @halchess,

As Stephen_C correctly mentioned, you do need a separate purchase for each platform you want to use 1Password on. It is on sale at the moment.

Here's the guide on set up the sync: http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/syncing

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Would Apple allow AgileBits to offer a 1P/Mac + 1P/iOS bundle, or will app bundling be limited to single-platform? If bundling were to be allowed, that might be an additional reason to abandon the freemium model.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It wouldn't be necessary to abandon the freemium model. You purchase on Android and/or iOS and then enter your Google/ID username into the purchase form for the desktop versions. Purchase of the mobile versions adds an additional discount to the desktop licence.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi guys,

@benfdc:

Would Apple allow AgileBits to offer a 1P/Mac + 1P/iOS bundle, or will app bundling be limited to single-platform? If bundling were to be allowed, that might be an additional reason to abandon the freemium model.

Apple does not allow bundles of separate platforms, it is still restricted to the platform.

@RichardPayne:

You purchase on Android and/or iOS and then enter your Google/ID username into the purchase form for the desktop versions

I'm not sure if we get a list of customers from Google but Apple does not share that, so that will not be possible.

If we work around that by requiring users to set up an account in the iOS app and then use that to get a discount, that could work. However if we do it like this, we might as well just go subscription style for all apps instead, which is something we're not interested in right now.

This discussion has been closed.